Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Help! Need to generate LARGE report...
Help! Need to generate LARGE report... [message #88915] Wed, 11 June 2003 20:10 Go to next message
bnm
Here's a dilemma I don't know how to address. We have a report that needs to be printed (yes... don't ask) every week that runs somewhere in the order of 30,000 pages. It has relatively complex formatting (necessary) with sections, subsections, etc., in repeating blocks.

The current version is running in Oracle Reports, and just barely. It breaks often as Reports just doesn't seem to be happy generating a file that big. We run it to postscript and FTP that file to one of our big printers.

Now we need to rewrite this report and it is going to become even more complex and yet bigger. Reports just isn't the tool for something of this scope. The source data for the report will be (ultimately) a really huge XML file.

Options I've been throwing around,

- Transform the XML into a formatted text file (with everything spaced out nicely), and tag each line with a formatting code and our digital print guys can write a program that runs inside one of the big printers and simply applies a simple format (boldface, lines, etc.) based on the tag code at the beginning of each line. We'd have to code all the formatted output in PL/SQL.

- Try to transform the XML into PS using XSL or something. I haven't seen anything that really allows us to do this in a way that's supportable by a development staff.

- Load the data into a table and try to write it in Reports. It's a continuous report that really can't be broken up into subsections, and Reports already is having fits with what we have now. Not a good option.

Is there ANYTHING else that I've left out? Any other options? Any other places I can post asking?
Re: Help! Need to generate LARGE report... [message #88994 is a reply to message #88915] Tue, 22 July 2003 11:12 Go to previous message
dc
Hey,

Have you considered using OLAP and BI Beans which will take care of the breaking of reports..easy quering and all.

and you can probably even use Oracle discoverer's query optimizer..it's a much easier way and we have used it to query up to 2,00,000 records and display 28,000 records(it might go more but haven't tried it as yet).
and if you want to explore the option of XML..you can query XML fils directly using reports with SQL queries and also XSQL queries.

I have some papers on the above..let me know if you want them.

Cheers!
Previous Topic: Using Reports2.5 how to mail
Next Topic: Installing Discoverer Plus on Oracle 9iAS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:15:22 CDT 2024