Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » COMMIT_FORM sequence of events
COMMIT_FORM sequence of events [message #86080] Sun, 29 August 2004 01:18 Go to next message
Malik Humaid
When issueing commit_form, the sequence of events stops my from committing

The problem I am facing:

I have a Unique constraint on my table (a serial number) and the user can input a new record anywhere in the middle of the records, I then renumber all following numbers in the form , but when I commit I get the unique constraint violation error. I because it is because the INSERT is done first and the UPDATE later.

What is the best solution for this problem.?
Re: COMMIT_FORM sequence of events [message #86082 is a reply to message #86080] Sun, 29 August 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omar
Hi,
try to put a key-commit on the form level and in it put the code you want to override the default sequence of commit events. !
Re: COMMIT_FORM sequence of events [message #86083 is a reply to message #86082] Sun, 29 August 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malik Humaid
Omar,

Thanks for your reply, but the problem is that I do not want to lose thenew sequence of of my records

Supose I have the followig records

SR    NAME
1  MALIK
2 OMAR
3 ZAID
4 SEIF
5 SULTAN

On my form I want to add SULEMAN BEFORE ZAID which will result in the following list but you will be unable to save yur form because on commit_form insert have priority over updates thus the uniqueness error will trigger because when inserting SULEMAN as 3 will occure before zaid has changed to 4. ....

SR NAME
1 MALIK
2 OMAR
3 SULEMAN
4 ZAID
5 SEIF
6 SULTAN

I hope this illustrates my problem better ...!

Thanks again
Re: COMMIT_FORM sequence of events [message #86099 is a reply to message #86083] Tue, 31 August 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zain
Malik, there are two quick solutions if you have the flexibility to modify your data model a little bit.

1 - If your data model is changed as follows, then the problem is solved. If SR column is the primary key, add another column such as Serial Nbr. Keep on generating values for SR primary key using the sequence. However, allow users to update, insert values in Serial Nbr column only. Do not display SR column on the Form.

2 - If data model cannot be changed and the form is as small as you have shown above, think of creating a control form. Do not base your block on the table. Instead write the code to insert or update values on key-commit trigger.

3 - If the above two suggestions are not flexible for you, think of using 'post' and 'savepoints'.

Zain.
Re: COMMIT_FORM sequence of events [message #86101 is a reply to message #86099] Tue, 31 August 2004 20:13 Go to previous message
Malik Humaid
Thank a lot, I will try that...!
Previous Topic: disallowing updates for particular rows in update mode
Next Topic: thanks! to all of u!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 11:21:08 CDT 2024