Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » unique and interseting problem in form
unique and interseting problem in form [message #85448] Mon, 28 June 2004 04:16 Go to next message
domingo
Hi

I am facing a nice problem.

I have two forms form a , form b.

form a calls form b and passes some value say thru global.x.

form b is queried on the basis of this :global.x and shows the result.

but form b is sometime run independently as well then it shows the message

global.x not declared;

if i declare global.x in form b ,

I am losing the data of global.x when it is being called by form a.

I hope i could make my point clear.

regards

shubhajit.
Re: unique and interseting problem in form [message #85449 is a reply to message #85448] Mon, 28 June 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Himanshu
Hi,
Instead of referring to Global variable in Form B, make a local parameter in it.
When you call FormB from FormA then pass the Global parameter as parameter list to the called form.

So,now your FormB can perform X set of actions when called from Form A as it would be not null & can perform different job when called from Menu.

If you want to stick to the same solution which you have implemented then simply declare your Global variable in the Menu item.
Note that this will work only if you are not creating new session when the Form is called from Menu.

HTH
Regards
Himanshu
Re: unique and interseting problem in form [message #85452 is a reply to message #85448] Mon, 28 June 2004 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krishna kumar shrivas
Hello,
For this problom i am giving to you solution but note that this is working only when you are not executeing your in "when-new-form-instance".Define the
on error trigger either at form level or item level check their if errnum is 40815 then,at this sitution declare the global variable and use that.
But best ways is to always pass the parameter from one form to another form is useing the parameter list.use the global variable only when you want to return some valuse to back to the calling form.
ok bey
krishna.
Re: unique and interseting problem in form [message #85455 is a reply to message #85452] Mon, 28 June 2004 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domingo
But I tried this ,
the error code 40815 doesnot get trapped by that.
why is it that ??
plz suggest.
regds
domingo
Re: unique and interseting problem in form [message #85457 is a reply to message #85455] Tue, 29 June 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krishna kumar shrivas
Put this code into "when-new-form-instance"

message(:global.x);

here this variable is not declared if you run the form "B" independtly. ok
Define the On Error Trigger.At form level and put this code thier.

"On-Error" Trigger Code

DECLARE
errnum NUMBER(10) := ERROR_CODE;
errtxt VARCHAR2(500) := ERROR_TEXT;
BEGIN
IF ERRNUM = 40815 THEN
:global.x := 'kk';
END IF;
END;
ok i think that now you got it.

If you still faceing the problom then mail me.
Good luck

krishna kumar shrivas
bangalore.
And here you declare this variable and assigne some value to this varibale,Default value or null.and then use this in your query statemnt to execute your query.

Put the debuger at "when-new-form-instance" then see what happen.........
Re: unique and interseting problem in form [message #85498 is a reply to message #85448] Fri, 02 July 2004 04:37 Go to previous message
vamsi kasina
you can do it this way.

use Default_Value(value,variable);
value - varchar2 - what ever value to be assigned to the gloabl variable if it is null
variable - varchar2 - global variable name
ex:
Default_Value('FRANCE','GLOBAL.country');

if you intialize the global variable the default_value statement do nothing.
if you didn't initialize the global variable the dafault_value initializes the global variable to whatever value specified there.

by
vamsi
Previous Topic: reading which key was pressed
Next Topic: Processing only when Update is done not when insert or delete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:34:04 CDT 2024