Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » How back end constraints can affect the front end?,urgent
How back end constraints can affect the front end?,urgent [message #85381] Mon, 21 June 2004 03:07 Go to next message
Prick
Hi all

I am having some Foreign key constraints in some of my tables

and i have created the screens for those tables in the front end.

Now i want to disable/drop these foriegn key constraints,but i am getting afraid to do so because it may affect my front end screens, i want to know that

Whether my screens will work normaly and works as a master detail  or not,  if i will drop/disable the constraints from back end?

if it does, what i have to do to overcome it

any one , please help me it is urgent

Akhilesh

Re: How back end constraints can affect the front end?,urgent [message #85385 is a reply to message #85381] Mon, 21 June 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Himanshu
Hi,
They will keep on working as it is.
Though this is not a good practice.

Regards
Himanshu
Re: How back end constraints can affect the front end?,urgent [message #85386 is a reply to message #85385] Mon, 21 June 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prick
Hi,
I am happy to hear that screens will work normaly

But can you please guide me what should i do,
you said that it is not a good practice, will you guide me, sir,

Akhilesh
Re: How back end constraints can affect the front end?,urgent [message #85387 is a reply to message #85386] Mon, 21 June 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Himanshu
Why in first place do you want to drop Backend Constraints?
If you do so and if somebody enters some Junk data into your Detail table then he will not be stopped although no Coresponding Master exists in the Database.
This will have major problems of Data integrity in your System.

HTH
Regards
Himanshu
Re: How back end constraints can affect the front end?,urgent [message #85389 is a reply to message #85387] Mon, 21 June 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prick
Hi,
I am dropping the constraints because i am writing some database triggers, to insert update and delete detail table if master is being updated or modified.

Even if i am writing these triggers Do i need to keep the constraints or i have to drop it?
Waiting for your replay
Akhilesh
Re: How back end constraints can affect the front end?,urgent [message #85411 is a reply to message #85389] Wed, 23 June 2004 02:58 Go to previous message
Himanshu
No matter what are your adding to these tables, but it is advisable to have Primary-foreign key constraints always on the tables.

HTH
Regards
Himanshu
Previous Topic: Exception
Next Topic: Any Report Guru Here.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 14:27:08 CDT 2024