Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » commit statement problem!
commit statement problem! [message #84779] Mon, 26 April 2004 02:04 Go to next message
sailaja
hi, here is my problem...

i have got 3 blocks on my form... suppose.. masterblk,ch1blk,ch2blk of which there is mater detail relationship to masterblk-ch1blk and masterblk-ch2blk.
ch2blk is multi record block. after i have done with all necessary inputs ,i am using commit to commit changes ....checking some requied conditions i am using commit 3 times...once per each blk.

for one block i need sequenceno to be inserted into ch1table.so i am doing the following way.

declare
sqno numebr:=0';
begin
if ( some condiions )
  commit ;(for master blk);  ---- 1st commit;
end if;
if (some condtitions)
commit (for ch1blk);         ----- 2nd commit;
end if;
for ch2 blk......i need to insert  seqno for record in master record

go_block('ch2blk');
first_record;

loop
ch1blk.item1:=:masterblk.item1;
seqno:=seqno+1;

//and so on...few items which  must be picked up from master table are asigned explicitely.and  the rest are on the block itself so next       i am using commit next line to store

ch1.seqno:=seqno;
commit;          ----3rd commit;
exit when :system.last_record ='true';
next_record;
end loop;

when i am doing the above way.... i am not getting that seqno inserted into table but the records are inserted into tabel with out seqno
if i remove 1st  and 2nd commit with 3rd commit....

what i understand abt commit statement is it commits what all on the blocks on form to respective tables.... irrespective of present block where cursor is.

even i tried using insert into statement explicitely and use commit after.... but i am getting that records inserted twice with seqno.

can any one please help me out ....
thanks in advance....
sailaja
Re: commit statement problem! [message #84798 is a reply to message #84779] Tue, 27 April 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magnetic
creata a databasetrigger for each table wich inserts the seqno for you
Re: commit statement problem! [message #84814 is a reply to message #84779] Thu, 29 April 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ram kumar
Hi Sailaja..
one way of doing is use databse triggers....but with this u cant see the seqno on form .unless u requery the form...

second way is to generate seqno and assign to field on form in child block in pre insert trigger that way u can see seqno on form with out requery...
Ram
Re: commit statement problem! [message #84857 is a reply to message #84814] Wed, 05 May 2004 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sailaja
thanku ram,my one more problem was with commit statemmetn or commiting changes in two blocks master and child
if (conditions)
---
---
commit; (master block)
end if;
if (conditions)
---
---
/* commit;(child table block)*/
end if;
in the piece of code,i am using commit in master block at that commititself.. even child tables data is also saved into the tables...i.e committing entire form...
i commented commit of second if loop of child block .. even then database changes for child table is done...i tried with 'insert into.... ' in each block... even then i got to use commit after insert in each if loop... that time child blocks data is also committed to tables...
how can i overcome committing of entire form...
let me also know clear differnce between forms_ddl('commit') and just plain commit??
thanks in advance..
Re: commit statement problem! [message #84862 is a reply to message #84857] Thu, 06 May 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Ikramur Rahman
Hi Sailaja

Use ON-COMMIT or ON-INSERT Trigger. These type of triggers supercede the launching transaction. For example, the statements in an on-insert trigger replace the INSERT statement issued by the data block
Re: commit statement problem! [message #84866 is a reply to message #84857] Thu, 06 May 2004 05:26 Go to previous message
ram kumar
Hi Sailaja,
if u can send me ur fmb it will be nice..
u mentiond code but u dint mention in which tirgger the code is placed.
i dont want to just give answer with out understanding ur real problem...

if i am right ...
u r trying to control commits on each block based ons some if statement...

cant u do in on insert and on update triggers of each master and detail block say like for example

master block
on insert trigger
if .....
insert.............or Insert_record
end if;

on update trigger

if .....
update.............or update_record
end if;

like wise do same for...detail blocks..

commit ...or commit_from...commited all unsaved changed on the form..

i am sure i dint explain well..it was just a attempt..

Regards
Ram
Note:
best way is end ur form to my mail and mention problem either here or in mail....
Previous Topic: Problem Inserting Date Time
Next Topic: OTM question (please help me)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 01:34:38 CDT 2024