Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » anyone! , please look into my previous problem
anyone! , please look into my previous problem [message #84765] Thu, 22 April 2004 20:13 Go to next message
ashish
hi,

please look into my previous problem which i posted yesterday(22-Mar-2004), this is very urgent for me. The title of the problem i posted yesteday, is written below in bold.

"which bult-in is apropriate among call_form,new_form,open_form"

ashish

Re: anyone! , please look into my previous problem [message #84767 is a reply to message #84765] Thu, 22 April 2004 21:29 Go to previous message
mb sharma
To programmatically invoke another form module, a form can execute three built-in Form Builder procedures:
OPEN_FORM (opens a separate, independent form)

NEW_FORM (replaces the current form with a different form)

CALL FORM (calls a modal form)

When a form executes OPEN_FORM to invoke another form, the first form remains displayed, and end users can navigate between the forms as desired. An opened form can share the same database session as the form from which it was invoked, or it can create a separate session of its own. For most GUI applications, using OPEN_FORM is the preferred way to implement multiple-form functionality.

When a form executes NEW_FORM to invoke another form, Form Builder exits the first form and releases its memory, and then loads the new form (i.e., the second form completely replaces the first. If changes are pending in the first form, Form Builder will prompt the end user to save them before the new form is loaded.

When a form executes CALL_FORM to invoke another form, the called form is modal with respect to the calling form. Any windows that belong to the calling form are not usable until the called form is exited and control returns to the calling form.

Both OPEN_FORM and CALL_FORM allow you to leave the calling form displayed. Using this technique, you can integrate forms so tightly that end users are not aware that they are invoking separate forms.
Form Builder maintains any locks (obtained by a form) across both OPEN_FORM (in the same session), CALL_FORM and NEW_FORM procedure calls. Thus, a called form automatically has the same locks as its calling form.

CALL_FORM is an unrestricted procedure, OPEN_FORM and NEW_FORM are restricted. Therefore, CALL_FORM is valid in Enter Query mode, while OPEN_FORM and NEW_FORM are not.
hope this clarifies your problem...
it's application that decide what is to be used when..
regard,
MB Sharma
Previous Topic: Delete command
Next Topic: Bad Bind Variable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 15:09:07 CDT 2024