Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Sharing Values
Sharing Values [message #84213] Sun, 15 February 2004 07:39 Go to next message
Imran Ahmad
Hello I have question for all gurus here, b/c this is an important question for all. I want to share values between sessions without commiting the record. Like in java one can share values through static variable.
I define the scnerio, If 2 users r connected A & B and there is a form through one can view employees detail with respect to their department. If A queries the record of department 10 (only queries), i want to restrict B for selecting department 10. I create a canvas in which i ask department no.

I have in mind that if anyway possible i place A and department 10 in variable and that variable is visible to all sessions then i just need to check those variables but thats not work. Plz tell how can i do this task.

Imran
Re: Sharing Values [message #84243 is a reply to message #84213] Wed, 18 February 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Chadderton
Well, this is an interesting one, sharing values across sessions. There are quite a few mechanisms through which this can be achieved. Of course, there's the autonomous transaction method into a table, but that can be a bit inefficient since you have to select it out every time. You don't mention what version of the database you are using, but it sounds like a feature which will best suit your needs is to use global application contexts, for a "known" session id.

You can get more details of these at :

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96590/adgsec02.htm#1005776
Re: Sharing Values [message #84262 is a reply to message #84243] Sun, 22 February 2004 05:13 Go to previous message
Imran Ahmad
Thankx for the reply.

I m using Oracle 8i. And the problem is when i lock the record then how i release it b/c the lock release only with ROLLBACK or COMMIT in Oracle Forms 6i. The problem with ROLLBACK is it clears the full form and COMMIT is not good until users wants too.

Therefore plz help me in this regard, i also check the objects but there is no solution there also. In JAVA a keyword STATIC is used to globally access the variable, isn't possible that this kind of keyword is used with oracle too.

Ur response will be highly appreciable and thankfull.

I hope u will response me.
Imran
Previous Topic: Little Challenge for Leaders
Next Topic: Oracle9iDS2 Forms and Reports when reach internet browser failed.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 04:18:36 CDT 2024