Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Oracle/D2K setup problem in network system.
Oracle/D2K setup problem in network system. [message #83776] Wed, 10 December 2003 20:07 Go to next message
Prag
Hello friends,

Please help me to solve the problem of shifting my personal oracle 8 and D2K 6i programs to work on Win2000 network system. I’m describing my problem below:
This system has been developed using Oracle 8 (Personal edn) and D2K 6i. It is running well on a standalone system (my PC). But now, we have made all our computers working in a network system. We have made one PC as server (Win2000) and also set this PC as Oracle 8 (Enterprise edn.) Server. We have installed the Oracle Client version in all the other 4 workstations and now we can execute the SQL Plus 8.0 of the Enterprise edn. from the workstation. So our workstations are properly working as an Oracle Client, isn’t it?
But my D2K part has stopped working giving ‘TNS error: unresolved service name’ whenever I’m trying to execute any Form/ Report. I’ve installed the D2K 6i again but with no result. I’m confused, what should I do. Actually, now what should be the steps to be followed to make my forms / Reports to work on network?

1. Is there any Enterprise edn. concept in D2K? probably not. It’s a front end tool, isn’t it?

2. Should I keep all my Forms and Reports in Server machine and provide a link to the corresponding menu file (mymenu.mmx in server) from all the workstations?

3. Or I should keep the Forms / Reports to be loaded in every workstations?

I know I’ve to change my SQL codings to make it sharable. Please tell me what to do to run my Forms/ Reports in network? Any suggestion is the most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Prag.
Re: Oracle/D2K setup problem in network system. [message #83817 is a reply to message #83776] Mon, 15 December 2003 04:44 Go to previous message
Joyjeet
D2K Forms and Report modules always connect the database reading the tnanames.ora under <D2Khome>NET80ADMIN.

Since both Oracle Client and D2K are installed in all client m/c, I suppose that tnsnames.ora is configured in the file under <Oracle HOME>.

Please follow the steps:
1. First make a database connect string in <D2Khome>NET80ADMINtnanames.ora.(for help tou can get sample tnanames.ora under <D2Khome>NET80ADMINSample)

2. Try to connect your forms and reports with youruser/yourpassword@yourconnectstring

It must work....
Previous Topic: Commit From Forms
Next Topic: LOV not working properly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:17:46 CDT 2024