Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Which software should I buy?
Which software should I buy? [message #82999] Thu, 24 July 2003 10:11 Go to next message
Susan
Hello,
I will be starting a new job, and the company that I
will be working for needs to know which software to
purchase now. I will be writing very complex reports
for an insurance company on an Oracle 9i database.
That is all I know right now. Which software do I need
to buy? All my company has is the Oracle DB itself and
nothing else as far as I know. I will end up being the
DBA as well, so I will need everything.

I am guessing that I would need:
- SQL
- SQL Plus
- Oracle Reports
- Oracle Discoverer (would this be better than Oracle
Reports?)
- TOAD or SQL Navigator (I used these before and really liked TOAD)
- Oracle Designer (at my last job, the DBA there used
Oracle Designer and using this he could print out the
whole database layout graphically showing the tables
and fields and relationships between tables)
- DBA Studio (not sure about this - someone mentioned
it me)

Anything else and which versions? I haven't worked in
Oracle in a long time so I don't know the latest
versions or software.

Thank you in advance,
Susan
Re: Which software should I buy? [message #83004 is a reply to message #82999] Fri, 25 July 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
- SQL is a language, it is not a tool.
- SQL*Plus comes with the Oracle installation, so most probably you have that already.
- I don't know discoverer, but if you have complex reports to write I think Oracle Reports (part of the Deleveloper suite) can help you out. But Reports is a complex tool which doesn't come for free. Since 9i comes with a web server, you could create HTML reports from the database (using the PL/SQL web toolkit) too, without any additional tool.
- SQL*Nav or TOAD would be nice, that's right (there isn't much difference since they're both developed by Quest Software).
- Most DBA issues can be addressed with the above tools and OEM (Oracle Enterprise Manager), but I don't know whether OEM comes with the database or not.
- Designer is a CASE tool, it is built to create entire applications from analysis to front end. It is not some sort of printing utility. Are you willing to pay at least 5,000$ per user to print out an schema? If you'd like to use it, use its full potential.

MHE
Re: Which software should I buy? [message #83057 is a reply to message #83004] Fri, 01 August 2003 02:30 Go to previous message
lars
To have a graphical overview of your oracle database you can also use 'Microsoft Visio'.
With Visio you can use 'reverse engineering' to import your database schema and have a beautiful graphical overview of your database. (including referential integrity, constraints, indexes ....)
Previous Topic: Property Pallette
Next Topic: Question on program unit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 21:32:18 CDT 2024