Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » OLE Alternatives in Forms 6i Client Server
OLE Alternatives in Forms 6i Client Server [message #82636] Sun, 15 June 2003 22:39
Ken Medlock
I'm fishing for some advice and maybe some examples of how to get around an OLE issue that's adversely affecting an upgrade project.

We're currently migrating a Forms 4.5 application to 6i. This application displays MS Word documents (OLE Container) that are stored in the database and uses OLE to open manipulate, and save the documents back to the database. We've come across some serious problems with OLE and 6i that don't look like they'll be fixed any time soon (bug #2615804 in particular).

Since OLE (ActiveX) is not supported a web delivered configuration, we're looking at an alternative to interacting and storing Word documents using a client/server configuration. This will have the added bonus of making the move to web delivery once we decide to go down that path.

Has anyone out there had any good experience with overcoming this OLE problem? It seems like every pre-Forms 9i book out there has touted OLE as a way of interacting with Office tools and now OLE has become a roadblock.

I've had a look at the JACOB example, but that doesn't really help if you're not deploying via the web.

Any advice will be greatly apprieciated.

Ken Medlock
Previous Topic: Multiline Item Property
Next Topic: DATABASE DESIGN TRANSFORMER QUESTION
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:20:19 CDT 2024