Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Need help with dev2k forms
Need help with dev2k forms [message #82252] Wed, 14 May 2003 00:16 Go to next message
Mubeen
Hi All,

This question is regarding dev2k forms,

suppose i hav two fields in a form(ex:- code,description)when i enter the code through an lov button , it should also display the values of the description field .

I would appreciate if any one help me in this.
Re: Need help with dev2k forms [message #82254 is a reply to message #82252] Wed, 14 May 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
I assume the description is also in the Code_Table. Include it in the select list of the record group on which the LOV is based. Then assign the description to the proper field in the COLUMN MAPPING property of the LOV.

HTH,
MHE
Message for Maheer... [message #82255 is a reply to message #82254] Wed, 14 May 2003 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mubeen
Thanx Maheer,

But I think there is slight confusion in what i said and what you understood,the problem is

At runtime when i am entering the values through the LOV ,what i want is ,when i enter the value i am taking only one column value and the other columns(description)should also display at runtime.

The bottom line is

when i am entering value from a single column the value of the other column which is also from the same table should automatically get displayed.

I hope you got my point.

mubeen.
Re: Message for Maheer... [message #82257 is a reply to message #82255] Wed, 14 May 2003 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
The Validate from List property can help you out, I guess.

I assume the following:
Two fields (field1 and field2) on form both in column mapping of a LOV (lov1). field1 uses the LOV. When the LOV is invoked, both fields are filled correctly but when entering a value manually in field1, field2 doesn't get filled automatically.

I tested it quickly and it seems to me the "validate from list" property in field1 (referring to the lov) might help you out. This means however, that no other values are permitted, since if no matches are found, the LOV gets invoked. (you could work around it though, and if needed I'll explain).

MHE
Maaher.. [message #82258 is a reply to message #82255] Wed, 14 May 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mubeen
Thanx for giving your valuable time for solving my problem Maheer but still there is problem.

There are two fields(area_code,area_desc)in a table area and i had made lov only on single field that is "area_code" and also in column mapping properties i have mentioned only single field "area_code"

so what i want actually is ,when i take value of area_code from lov the values in the column area_desc should also display automatically.

Regds,
Mubeen
Re: Maaher.. [message #82261 is a reply to message #82258] Wed, 14 May 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Ok, one final shot because I fail to see the problem with my previous answers.

Allow me to summarize:
1. you have two fields in the table and the form (area_code and area_desc)
2. you have a LOV on area code only.
3. you want area_desc in the form filled together with the area code.

than change the LOV like I suggested. Include the description in the record group (or in the query that fills the LOV, if created at runtime). Modify the LOV to include the field.

(If you don't want the field in the form to be filled or the form field "area_desc" doesn't exist, don't do anything more. The description will be displayed in the LOV only.)

Add it in the column mapping. Now, whenever you use the LOV and select an area code, the description will be filled to. If you don't want the description to be displayed in the LOV, change the column width to 0.

You could set the validate from list to force usage of the LOV, because every time a user enters a value without the LOV, the area_desc stays empty.

Or, as an alternative, write a lookup procedure in the WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger of area_code. Every time the area code changes, look up the description and display it in the form. That way you are sure that area_desc is consistent with area_code at all times.

MHE
Thanx a lotttttttt Maaheer... [message #82262 is a reply to message #82257] Wed, 14 May 2003 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mubeen
Thanx a lotttt Maaheer ,i am really greatful to you,as my problem got sorted out.

One more thing when i am exiting the form it is showing the lov again so what can i do so that it should not display the lov while exiting the form.

with Regards,

Mubeen.
Re: Thanx a lotttttttt Maaheer... [message #82265 is a reply to message #82262] Wed, 14 May 2003 05:27 Go to previous message
Maaher
Look why it fires. Most probably it's trying to validate a field which shouldn't be validated. Also try to see how come that the field isn't validated. Is there some redundant assignment in a program unit/trigger/Lov's column mapping. All these things can cause a LOV to be invoked. The when-validate-record, pre/post-insert/update triggers might do sth they shouldn't and cause a field to become invalidated.

MHE
Previous Topic: Oracle forms
Next Topic: Will Scrolling affect sort order?????
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:12:34 CDT 2024