Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Can item level override block level?
Can item level override block level? [message #81739] Mon, 17 March 2003 09:08 Go to next message
SA
Hi,

I have a form which need to update one field out of many possible fields. I'd like user only updates that field. I set block updatable to false, and set item updatable to true, but it seems it won't override the block level? Is it true? Should I set block level updatable and then set every field which I don't want user change to false or is there any better way?

Thanks,

Sa
Re: Can item level override block level? [message #81741 is a reply to message #81739] Mon, 17 March 2003 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magnetic
true
instead of that
update the field by using the next code in a proper trigger

update tableX
set col1=:field;
commit;
Re: Can item level override block level? [message #81758 is a reply to message #81739] Tue, 18 March 2003 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solve
I also can't do an update... I get FRM-40508 unable to UPDATE record.. any help?

Solveiga
Re: Can item level override block level? [message #81763 is a reply to message #81739] Tue, 18 March 2003 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul
There is no easier way, you must set Update Allowed to YES at the block level if you want to be able to update any item on the block. You then must set Update Allowed to NO for any items on the block you do not want your user to be able to update. If set to NO at the block level, this property cannot be over-ridden at the item level.
Re: Can item level override block level? [message #81798 is a reply to message #81739] Mon, 24 March 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
utsav
HI,

There is one other way, u can write a procedure to which u will pass the name of the block and will set the update not allowed and insertnot allowed proprties are set to ys or no. This procedure will usea loop an will use next_item nuilt in to jump to next item. In this way u can use just one procedure for all rthe blocks that u have.

I hope u got i am tring to say, this would indeed solve the problem.

utsav
Re: Can item level override block level? [message #81816 is a reply to message #81739] Mon, 24 March 2003 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SA
Thank you! Another thing buffles me is when I set up update_allowed to false, user can still change the field, but if I set insert_allowed to false, they won't be able to change and a message like "field is protected from updating" is shown. Do you know why?
Re: Can item level override block level? [message #81820 is a reply to message #81739] Mon, 24 March 2003 22:47 Go to previous message
utsav
Hey,
Well i am gonna have to disagree with your problem completly.

When, update_allowed is set to false at item level u cannot change the value for an existing record for that item.It will give message field protected from updating.
If update_allowed is set to false at block level, u cannot make change in any item of that block for existing records.

When u set insert_allowed to false, at item level, u can change the existing record but u canot insert a new value.if u set it false for block u just cannt add new record.

Try it again, i sure u will get the correct messages.

utsav.
Previous Topic: how to get info from runform
Next Topic: Stroing vdioes in the database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:36:57 CDT 2024