Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Create sequence
Create sequence [message #81485] Sat, 22 February 2003 13:23 Go to next message
CreativePresence
I have a form that i am working on & for one of the columns in a datablock i want value to be inserted by a sequence. I could modify the actual .sql file & create a "create sequnce command" but i want to create the sequence from within forms. I have tried accessing the pl/sql editor for the column, but the "create sequence command" will not compile. It states that it encountered the symbol "create". Does forms not accept the command...

create sequence s_s_proj#
increment by 1
start with 1
order

so how can i get a sequence command to impliment within forms on a datablock column?

Thanks in advance,
Re: Create sequence [message #81492 is a reply to message #81485] Sun, 23 February 2003 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Balamurugan.R
Hai,

U cannot use DDL commands directly in forms.

Using FORMS_DDL('create table....') u can create

table or sequence,etc. Try it, if u find any

difficulty let me know.

With Regards,
Balamurugan.R
Re: Create sequence [message #81506 is a reply to message #81485] Tue, 25 February 2003 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul
If this is a "real world" ap, you might want to give this a bit more thought. Can you be sure the user will have rights to create an object in the database?
Since there is no OR REPLACE option with CREATE SEQUENCE, you will have to test for the existence of the sequence and DROP SEQUENCE if it exists before you can CREATE it. Is this desirable? If 2 users are running the form at the same time, will this create a problem? If you are storing this column to a table, will duplicate values caused by resetting the sequence cause problems?

Regards,
Paul
Re: Create sequence - Now solved. [message #81512 is a reply to message #81485] Wed, 26 February 2003 02:10 Go to previous message
CreativePresence
Thanks for all yuor help, but i have now managed to solve this issue.
Previous Topic: Winhelp file in forms6i ?
Next Topic: Report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:52:56 CDT 2024