Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » master-detail question
master-detail question [message #80956] Tue, 17 December 2002 12:40 Go to next message
sanjeev
I have two tables, tab_a(master) and tab_b(detail)
they are one-to-one related.

In the form I want to create 2 blocks
blk_a and blk_b for each of the table above.

when I do execute_query. the data from tab_a and tab_b should both be displayed...

currently I tried creating master-detail relationship in form but it display the detail record only if I am in the master record. i.e it displays 10 master records
but only 1 detail(for current master), I wanted all the 10 details displayed too (for those 10 masters).

Any ideas?
Thanks
Sanjeev
Re: master-detail question [message #80961 is a reply to message #80956] Wed, 18 December 2002 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malcolm
OK,

i have done something similar in the past...

the way i did it (though it isn't the only way) was to create the 2 blocks with NO relationship between them.
then on the POST-QUERY of the top block i concatonate all the key values into a string (i used a parameter "p_key_values" - formatting them into a nice comma seperated string; 'a', 'b', 'c'....) doing something like:

:PARAMETER.p_key_values := :PARAMETER.p_key_values||''''||:tab_a.key_index_field||''',';

then this string can be used to put into the DEFAULT_WHERE clause of the 2nd block by putting:

"WHERE tab_b.key_index_field IN (p_key_values)"

- Now when you perform the query on the second block - it will look at the default where and bring back the matching set to the top block...

- Notes:

* you need to remove the final comma from the key_string.
* you will need to perform all the queries programmatically - as there is no relationship between the block...
* you need to clear out this string after queries in order for a re-query to be correct.

- i hope this gives you a good start!
Re: master-detail question [message #82971 is a reply to message #80956] Wed, 23 July 2003 09:23 Go to previous message
anil rajanala
I have a form with a master-detail relationship between two data blocks.

How to save changes(insert) only in detail block not in master block
Previous Topic: Changing Password using Forms
Next Topic: Key-scrup and key-scrdown
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 19:53:35 CDT 2024