Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Need Post-Query Workaround
Need Post-Query Workaround [message #80943] Mon, 16 December 2002 14:19 Go to next message
Brian
This is urgent. Any help will go along way.
I am using Forms Builder 6i version 6.0.8.13.0.
I am designing a web based form that has 6 blocks.
Blocks 1, 3, 5 and 6 are all related via relation objects in the form.
Block 1 is a key block used as a lookup. Users enter data in this block for which they are looking for related information. It will only contain 1 record, all other blocks are multi-record capable.
Block 2 populates programatically based on data entered in block 1. It is excluded from the navigation sequence.
Then upon navigating to block 3 from block 1 the rest of the form/blocks populate with all the related data to the key values entered in block 1.
Here's my problem.
I need block 4 to populate for every row returned in block 3. Block 4 is not and can not be related to block 3 via a relation object. I now have it populating programaticlaly based on the click of a button that the user has to press after all data is retrieved or whenever they scroll to a new record in block 3 - not good for the user. What I want to do is have block 4 populate automatically as rows are retreived into block 3. That way as the user scrolls through the data in block 3 the data in block 4 will change to reflect.
The difficulty is that a post query will not work because in the procedure that populates block 4 I need to use a next_record built-in. Block 4 is not a base table block. It is a mulit-record display block (6 records displayed at a time) with a scroll bar. So in order to programatically populate it I have to fill the first row then move to the next record and fill it and so on and so on.
I need a work around.
I need a way to let block 3 be queried for records and as each one comes into the block call the procedure to populate the other block - remember that the procedure uses next_record and post query does not like the restricted built-in. I tried to use when_new_record_instance to call the procedure. This allows the data to be queried and as the user scrolls through the data block 4 populates on each new record. It did not work.
I realize this problem may be hard to clearly understand from my description so if anybody has the interest in solving a week long problem you can fire away your suggestions or email me at brian_gillam@carleton.ca.
Maybe I can send you a screen shot to clarify the layout a little better.
Re: Need Post-Query Workaround [message #80949 is a reply to message #80943] Tue, 17 December 2002 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Piyush Balan
Hi,
If your problem can be solved by being able to call Next_record in block 4 after post-query on block3,
then i would suggest u this workaround, trust me, this works.
what u can do, in Post-Query Set a TIMER. At form level write a WHEN-TIMER-EXPIRES trigger, which in turn calls another program unit. in this program unit u go ahead and write any navigational built-in.

as i said earlier, trust me , this will work it out for u.

Regards,
Piyush Balan
Consultant
Comsoft Pte Ltd
Singapore
Re: Need Post-Query Workaround [message #81288 is a reply to message #80943] Thu, 30 January 2003 07:23 Go to previous message
Robert
I suggest you use the when-new-record-instance trigger on block 3 and programmatically populate block 4 as you wish.

Succes!

R.
Previous Topic: Drawing a button gives 10 buttons
Next Topic: mouse disable in text item only in current block
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:57:43 CDT 2024