Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Retrieving MS Word doc stored in BLOB column
Retrieving MS Word doc stored in BLOB column [message #79079] Mon, 22 April 2002 06:33 Go to next message
Jazz
Dear Friends,

I've been able to store my MS Word documents in BLOB columns using the DBMS_LOB package. (My platform is Oracle 8i + Forms 6i).

But now I would like to retrieve the MS Word documents to the File System so that the user can modify and save them back to the database. Could you please let me know how to do this.

I've been struggling for the past 2 days on this. Any help and pointers would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Jazz
Re: Retrieving MS Word doc stored in BLOB column [message #79080 is a reply to message #79079] Mon, 22 April 2002 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S. La Rocca
Hi Jazz,

for this reason we have enlarge forms with an own DLL (for web we do this with java) wich save the blob-Word-Document in a temp-dir on the computer and start the associated programm.
Forms get the blob-file from the database in pieces of 16k (see DBMS_LOB-package in 8i) and put them as hex-string to the DLL, which save them as a file.
After changing the MS Word document we do the same procedure backwards (reading with DLL in pieces and save as BLOB)

Good luck

Ciao Stephan
Re: Retrieving MS Word doc stored in BLOB column (Database Package required) [message #79084 is a reply to message #79079] Mon, 22 April 2002 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazz
Thanks.

I am looking for any database package/builtin that can help me save the BLOB data to the File System (I am not using any Java code/components in my application).

Please can u let me know of any such database package.
Re: Retrieving MS Word doc stored in BLOB column [message #79089 is a reply to message #79079] Tue, 23 April 2002 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazz
Hi Ciao,

I've got the solution. Like u suggested, I used external procedure (OCI calls) along with DBMS_LOB to achieve the desired result.

Thanks for the help,
Jazz
Re: Retrieving MS Word doc stored in BLOB column [message #80967 is a reply to message #79079] Thu, 19 December 2002 07:01 Go to previous message
Neeraj Mital
I am looking for a way to save MSWord docs in blob and back. It seems you have already done parts of it.

Will appreciate pointers, code samples etc.

thanks
Previous Topic: Convert .rep files to .rdf
Next Topic: How to return a value
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:02:41 CDT 2024