Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » inserting data in tabular form
inserting data in tabular form [message #78463] Mon, 25 February 2002 23:57 Go to next message
randy
hi folks,

I'm trying to insert data in a tabular form, but I can't insert it further than the 1st row. I tried to use a cursor, but I get the error FRM-40102: Record must be entered or deleted first.

I tried with the block as non database table, and with next_record in the pl/sql statement, but it won't go further than the 1st row

thx for your help
Re: inserting data in tabular form [message #78466 is a reply to message #78463] Tue, 26 February 2002 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
instead of next_record, use create_record
Re: inserting data in tabular form [message #78474 is a reply to message #78466] Tue, 26 February 2002 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randy
thanks pratap for our help...

I tried with create_record, and no next_record at the end of the statement, but it's still not working. How are the different rows in a tabular form differentiated? isn't there some place in dev2k where u can tell it "go to the next row"? that should be implemented
Re: inserting data in tabular form [message #78476 is a reply to message #78466] Tue, 26 February 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
i am not sure i have understood your problem.
can u explain a little bit more, with example.
what is the type of block? (database/control)
how u r inserting the data ?(manually/programaticaly)

can u send the form or code u r using
Re: inserting data in tabular form [message #78478 is a reply to message #78466] Tue, 26 February 2002 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randy
i made this cursor:

cursor C1 IS
select empno,empname,empsal from emp where empstat='manager';

begin

open C1

loop

fetch c1 into :employee.empno,:employee.empname,:employee.empsal
exit when c1 %notfound

end loop;
end;

I have a 5 rows tabular form. What I want to do is display empno, empname, empsal from the 1st employee on the 1st row, then the 2nd employee in the 2nd row, and so on. when I have displayed the 5th employee, I want to click on "next 5 records" button, erase the tabular form and display the 6th employee on 1st row, 7th employee on 2nd row... until I displayed all employees.

I hope that's more understandable that way

thx a lot
Re: inserting data in tabular form [message #78480 is a reply to message #78466] Tue, 26 February 2002 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pratap kumar tripathy
u r code is wrong. try this way, it should solve your problem.

declare
cursor C1 IS
select empno,empname,empsal from emp where empstat='manager';
begin
go_block('emp');
open C1;
loop
if :system.record_status!='NEW' then
create_record;
end if;
fetch c1 into :employee.empno,:employee.empname,:employee.empsal
exit when c1 %notfound;
end loop;
first_record;
end;
Re: inserting data in tabular form [message #78483 is a reply to message #78466] Tue, 26 February 2002 02:58 Go to previous message
randy
thanks a lot, now it's working! I just have one question: how can I display a message "no more rows" when the cursor reaches the last employee? because now when it reaches the last employee, the forms cursor stays in a table cell and won't move from it, with a FRM-40102 error. so what I want is to display a message and move the cursor before it stucks itself in the table cell.I know how to display a message, but here I don't know where to put it in the code exactly. any ideas?
Previous Topic: Alerts showing before rows are bounced to screen.....
Next Topic: Form 6 and 6i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 23:00:45 CDT 2024