Home » RDBMS Server » Security » dbms_obfuscation_toolkit
dbms_obfuscation_toolkit [message #7585] Mon, 23 June 2003 14:09 Go to next message
Jim Russell
Hello, I have done a lot of reading and experimenting with Oracle's dbms_obfuscation_package. I understand that this package will only encrypt/decrypt character or raw data.

I need to encrypt sensitive data contained in a database set up for a third party product. My implementation is fairly simple. I have an encryption package header and body, a decryption function. I use instead of insert and instead of update triggers so that a view can be used. The table
used for the purpose of holding the encrypted data is a copy of the original table with a synonym defined.

Here is my question. Scenario. I have a table with
a column containing numeric data. This data is considered sensitive so it needs to be encrypted. The "instead of insert" trigger reads this value
into a character (varchar2) variable. The data is
encrypted and inserted into the table (let's say the column name is col3).

Now the application issues a sql statement like:

select col1, col2, sum(col3)

What would need to be done so that this query could run successfully? Even though the view issues a call
to the decryption function, the decrypted value is a
character datatype.

I hope I didn't confuse you. I also hope I am in the correct forum. Finally, Thanks for your time.
Re: dbms_obfuscation_toolkit [message #7589 is a reply to message #7585] Mon, 23 June 2003 17:13 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
How about wrapping a TO_NUMBER function around the call to the decryption function in the view for any numeric columns?
Previous Topic: revoke system privilege
Next Topic: Oracle Audit Log Monitoring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:41:56 CDT 2024