Home » Server Options » Replication » Backup/Recovery Solution
Backup/Recovery Solution [message #75260] Sun, 01 September 2002 09:56 Go to next message
Lee Ming Soon
Hi experts!!!!need help here....

I am given the responsibility to come out with the best solution for backup and recovery routine.

Core requuirements:
(1) High availability.
(2) Could not compromise any data lost.
(3) Database must be up 24 hours daily.
(4) Transactions insertion into database every seconds.
(5) Recovery must recover up to point of failure.

There is only one database server running 24 hours. And there is another backup server having the same hardware specs as the production database server.

My current database is set to NOARCHIVELOG.

I came across with these solutions:
(a) Imp/Exp
(b) RMAN
(c) Replication

Which method is best suites my environment described above? Please if possible attach with the requirement i need to do first to implement the method as well as simple step by step guide to set it up.

Thanks a lot!
Re: Backup/Recovery Solution [message #75268 is a reply to message #75260] Sun, 08 September 2002 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Simpson
There are many components to a high availability solution, and many factors to consider. In regards to Replication, I have written a tech note of factors which should be considered on my website.

http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/support/repgen/repgen_tn_replication_design.html

It is also very important to set your database in archivelog mode - most recovery strategies will not work as desired without being in archivelog mode. You may find the following 15 Recovery Scenarios to be helpful for your needs as well:

http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net/products/installgen/win_901_32bit_files/installgen_win901_39_.html#recovery_scenarios

David Simpson
www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net
(Oracle Replication Consulting & Tools)

Re: Backup/Recovery Solution [message #75280 is a reply to message #75260] Fri, 18 October 2002 07:01 Go to previous message
B
None of tha above ( Except RMAN who can do it )

Set Ur master database in ARCHIVELOG

( Are U crazy to set it to NOARCHIVELOG ... u like to live in danger .. sure ! )

Use Ur second Server to build a standby database.
( using RMAN or manually ). continue to do HOT BACKUP frequently and after all structural changes.

And Ur data will be safe !
Previous Topic: Deployment Templates
Next Topic: ORA-03113. End of file on communication channel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:02:30 CDT 2024