Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Initial Login
Initial Login [message #645] Mon, 25 February 2002 13:44 Go to next message
John G
I just installed 8i for practice on my NT desktop.
When I attempt to login using either, SYS, SYSTEM or INTERNAL logins and passwords, (change_on_install, manager or oracle, respectively), I get the following error:

ORA-01034:ORACLE not available

What do I enter for:

User Name
Password
Host String

What am I doing wrong? Please help.
Re: Initial Login [message #648 is a reply to message #645] Mon, 25 February 2002 16:12 Go to previous message
seng
Your database is not up yet. In NT/Windows 2000. You need to reatsrt the Oracle service first before you can able start Oracle Database. Below is the step.

1. Start Oracle service ( check in SERVICE in NT/Windows 2000). You can start manually or automatic.

Manually -
Net start <oracleservice name from SERVICE>
Net stop <oracleservice name from SERVICE>
Automatic -
Start from SERVICE window.

2. After the Oracle service is started. Logon with SVRMGRL. (i use this method to check instance and database)
- logon
SVRMGRL>connect / as sysdba;

- check the Oracle instance.
SVRMGRL>select * from v$database; <if this return something than your instance is opened otherwise your instance is not yet opened, then you need to start the instance - SVRMGRL>STARTUP; >

- check the database after the instance is up.
SVRMGRL>select * from dba_users; <if this return something than your database is opened otherwise your database is not yet opened, then you need to open the database. SVRMGRL>ALTER DATABAS OPEN>

Note: Make sure the environment setting is correct before logon into Server Manager(SVRMGRL).
e.g
SET ORACLE_SID = "your sid"

For your information, you don't need to specify the connect string if you cannect on Oracle server OS. From client, you need to configure on hostname to connect to Oracle server.
hope this will help you. thank
Previous Topic: SQL question
Next Topic: select max of sums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:39:33 CDT 2024