Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » sample data to test Oracle database performance
sample data to test Oracle database performance [message #65055] Thu, 08 April 2004 18:48 Go to next message
lakshmi
Hi,
I'm working on a project on Oracle database performance tuning. Before implementing the changes/tuned parameters on the live database,i need to test it on a small Oracle8 database with sample data. The sample data should be such that it would test each of the performance determinant of my database.

Can anyone suggest where i can get such data samples to test the performance of an Oracle database?
Thanks
Lakshmi
Re: sample data to test Oracle database performance [message #65056 is a reply to message #65055] Thu, 08 April 2004 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daljit Singh
Hi,

Wht do u mean by "small database"? if u mean that first u want to apply the settings on a DB having less amount of data than ur prod db than u r doing a very big mistake. BCZ the cost based optimizer highly depends on the size, weight, selectivity, cardinality of the data, which in ur case will not match with the real picture. And the results on ur SMALL DATABASE would be totally different than ur prod DB.

According to me if u really want to check the setting than u should create an exact mirror copy of ur prod DB using MViews and go for the testing which would give u almost exact feel as ur prod db.

By the way can u share with us wht types of tuning parameters u r goung to test which will increase the performance.

Daljit Singh.
Re: sample data to test Oracle database performance [message #65058 is a reply to message #65056] Fri, 09 April 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
Daljit is right that the prod data is the best source of data to do tuning on. Beware of just exporting the data and then importing into dev, or setting up MV's. If data is distributed in your tables in a certain patern, then it could be important to preserve it in that way. e.g. if you load Sales data as it happens, then records for a given customer will be scattered all over the place. If during your population of the dev database, the records for a given customer all end up in the same few blocks then performance can change a lot. To generate "random data", see this link:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:2151576678914
Re: sample data to test Oracle database performance [message #65121 is a reply to message #65058] Sat, 08 May 2004 05:12 Go to previous message
nobita
I need sample data to test Oracle database performance
Help me!
Previous Topic: Simple SELECT statement taking too long
Next Topic: Help Urgent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:03:40 CDT 2024