Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Query Results not coming second time
Query Results not coming second time [message #64872] Mon, 23 February 2004 19:24 Go to next message
kamal matta
hi,

i am facing a typical problem with oracle 7.3 on winnt, when i fire a query thru my vb frontend for the first time when the server is just UP, it gives me result i.e. crystal reports runs. but immediately after this query when i refire the same report, nothing comes up.

after first time, the buffer cache hit ratio reduces to 20% may be becasue the server is just up and query has to fatch every thing from the disk. but second time i don't know what happens and the query just don't run.

thanks

km
Re: Query Results not coming second time [message #64877 is a reply to message #64872] Tue, 24 February 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
You could trace the session(including waits) to find out whats going on .

-Thiru
Re: Query Results not coming second time [message #64881 is a reply to message #64877] Tue, 24 February 2004 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamal matta
d/thiru,
one thing i want to add here is that the same query runs properly thru sqlplus and gives result. can this be a problem with the frontend and if yes then how ist time it runs properly.
can u pl tell me the steps to trace a session.
thanks
km
Re: Query Results not coming second time [message #64883 is a reply to message #64881] Wed, 25 February 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Hi,
tracing a session is detailed here --> Sql Tracing

You might also want to trace at the application/network layer to see if there is anything wrong there,especially since it works Ok at sqlplus.

-Thiru
Re: Query Results not coming second time [message #64894 is a reply to message #64883] Fri, 27 February 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamal matta
d/Thiru,
actually thru applicaiton also its working for the first time but second time nothing happens.
after readint your article, i tried the tracing that session and generated the trace file too but could not interpret is much which can help me in identifying the problem.
thru sqlplus its wokring everytime i run it.
database is 7.3 on winnt having 96 mb of ram with scsi hdd.

thanks
km
Re: Query Results not coming second time [message #64899 is a reply to message #64894] Sun, 29 February 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Hi ,
Since its working through sqlplus everytime, it looks like its got something to do with the middleware,application etc.

Did you do a tkprof on the resulting trace file and see if the application submits the query the 2nd time ? The formatted trace file is easier to read( but with less details).

-Thiru
Re: Query Results not coming second time [message #64907 is a reply to message #64899] Mon, 01 March 2004 02:31 Go to previous message
kamal matta
d/thiru,

thanks for reply. what i still feel is the bottleneck on the server end (may be harware resources). as my application is running properly with other servers which either have higher ram, or higher versions like 8i or 9i with ram like 128 mb or 256 mb for n no of times with out any problems.

the server on which we are trying is an older compaq presario having P1 / 96 mb ram / 2gb scsi hdd /winnt and oracle 7.3 workgroup server.

on the other server which is p2 or p3 and 128 ram or 256 ram, winnt and 7.3/8i or 9i server, application works ok which are on some other location.
Previous Topic: how do i read new messages in cursor
Next Topic: Why Don Burleson's "get_busy.ksh" does'nt work?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:38:09 CDT 2024