Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Help! Client tnsnames.ora - Oracle 9i Data Guard Standby Configuration
Help! Client tnsnames.ora - Oracle 9i Data Guard Standby Configuration [message #63963] Tue, 30 November 2004 13:35 Go to next message
sheela
Hi,

I recently configured a Oracle 9i physical standby configuration for two servers running on Solaris 8.   Used the Data Guard Manager (OEM) to configure this.  The configuration was successful. Switchover, failover is all working very well.  No errrors, no problems at all.  

The only problem I have is the tnsnames entry at the client is not recognizing the transitions.     Following is the tnsnames entry.  I have replaced the orginal names with fake ones.

mydb.world =
 (description=
  (address_list=
   (load_balance=off)
   (failover=on)
   (address=(protocol=tcp)(host=X)(port=1521))
   (address=(protocol=tcp)(host=Y)(port=1521)))
  (connect_data=(service_name=XXX.world)))

Both database use the global service name (xxx.world) in the listener.ora.

Usually here, X is the primary database. If it fails then we switchover to Y.   When X is the primary database this entry works well.  Because of the fact that it's the first one in the list. But yesterday  I did a switchover (Primary becomes Y and then X becomes the Standby).  After which the above tnsnames entry doesn't work.  It still tries to connect only to X and fails (which it will, because its now on standby mode).   For some reason the failover parameters doesn't seem to work.  

Please help!  What's the issue here?

Thanks

Tony

Re: Help! Client tnsnames.ora - Oracle 9i Data Guard Standby Configuration [message #63973 is a reply to message #63963] Wed, 01 December 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

If you stop the listener (lsnrctl stop) on the
primary site, the client should connect to to the
activated standby site.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Help! Client tnsnames.ora - Oracle 9i Data Guard Standby Configuration [message #63974 is a reply to message #63973] Wed, 01 December 2004 06:52 Go to previous message
Tony
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah you were right. I kind of figured out yesterday, that if somehow the client was not able to connect to the listener, then it worked (I just gave a wrong ip. address of the primary host, in the local hosts to test).
But I can't really use your suggesion about shutting down the listener on primary. Because the BIG problem is that we have about 20 databases running on the primary site. Out of which only this database has a standby configuration. So technically , I cannot shutdown the listener. Is there any other quick way?

Also one other problem. Even though both the primary and the standby servers are in the local network sitting next to each other, when the primary fails, and the standby becomes active when I issued a TNSPING to the client service, it takes about 21 seconds (21000 msec) !!!! I even tried using SQLPLUS to connect and it takes really really long time to connect to the standby.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Previous Topic: Setting Up Std By Database
Next Topic: Tuning Standby Database - roll forward
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:50:46 CDT 2024