Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Setting up and connecting HELP
Setting up and connecting HELP [message #508] Sun, 17 February 2002 03:48 Go to next message
Eric
I've tried to install 8i personal edition for like 7 times, and tried many different way to create and loop back into my database, but didn't work. This is my first time trying to get oracle work on my computer... since 8i didn't work, i just tried 9i personal edition. I tried to get it working last night, but failed again.

Here is my problem. I don't know what order i should configure my settings... like should i create a database first, then configure the listener? What is Service Naming and Name Servers? These terms are so similar it is getting my crazy.

Also, my computer name is call "ALPHA" so there should be no different for me to use ALPHA or localhost right?

Can anyone tell me in what order and what stuff i should enter/configure in order to get it working? I am tired to search for FAQ on the net... their answer are too general. =(
Re: Setting up and connecting HELP [message #509 is a reply to message #508] Sun, 17 February 2002 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suresh Vemulapalli
did u select default database creation while installing oracle? post tnsnames.ora file entries here?
Re: Setting up and connecting HELP [message #511 is a reply to message #508] Sun, 17 February 2002 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric
God, i think you are my only hope. Well actually no... i did not create the default database. Because before when i was messing with 8i, i read some website that saying not to create anything when doing installation... so i thought i would do the same in 9i.

Last night i was trying to get 9i working with all possible way, but no hope. So i was pissed and delete every configurations thing in the configuration assistant hehe... this morning i try to create a new profiles... here is what i got.

I first created a NEW DATABASE using the Database Configuration Assitant... then i used the Net Manager to create a new listenr profile and service name profile... here is what's in thw file.

TNSNAMES.ORA
CORE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = core)
)
)

LISTENER.ORA

CORE =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
)

SID_LIST_CORE =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = core)
(SID_NAME = core)
)
)

When i tried to connect, using [[sys:change_on_install]], it said 'connestion to sys should be sysdba or sysoper' I really dont know what o do...

Thanks for replying in advance.
Re: Setting up and connecting HELP [message #527 is a reply to message #508] Mon, 18 February 2002 08:15 Go to previous message
Suresh Vemulapalli
1) did u run catalog.sql and catproc.sql
i think database conf asst run these scripts for u. i never tried creating db using that tool.
2) did you open database?

if not follow these steps:

goto dos prompt

c:>set oracle_sid=core

c:>svrmgrl

svrmgr> connect internal

SVRMGR>startup

if oracle db successfully opened then go to SQL+

eneter user name : sys
password: change_on_install
Previous Topic: SQL problem
Next Topic: appending to a result cursor? possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:13:24 CDT 2024