Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Oracle Database Column Level Security
Oracle Database Column Level Security [message #57225] Thu, 29 May 2003 05:39 Go to next message
Kalicharan
I have very large table with around 100 Million rows and I would like restrict users not to see few sensitive columns. View I don't want to use because its' slows down all queries. Is there any other alternatives which can be implemented with lowest amount of overhead.

Thanks,
Misra
Re: Oracle Database Column Level Security [message #57226 is a reply to message #57225] Thu, 29 May 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
why is that view slows down the other queries?
A view is just stored query.
It utilizes the same indexes in the base tables.so it should all set. I beleive,A view is the easiest for your case.
Re: Oracle Database Column Level Security [message #57227 is a reply to message #57225] Thu, 29 May 2003 06:27 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
quoting the docs,
In all possible cases, Oracle merges a query against a view with the view's defining query and those of any underlying views. Oracle optimizes the merged query as if you issued the query without referencing the views. Therefore, Oracle can use indexes on any referenced base table columns, whether the columns are referenced in the view definition or in the user query against the view.

In some cases, Oracle cannot merge the view definition with the user-issued query. In such cases, Oracle may not use all indexes on referenced columns.

Previous Topic: ERROR...WHEN I TYPE PASSWORD
Next Topic: Auditing in Oracle 9.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:49:23 CDT 2024