Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen (oracle forms 6i, data base 9i, oracle apps 11i, app server linux)
Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628095] Thu, 20 November 2014 03:08 Go to next message
krr_apps
Hi All,

I'm facing an issue for accessing the PDF file placed in application server through oracle forms 6i. I'm using web.show_document to call that PDF. but i could not achieved it.

i read some threads in the same forum, that i have to add the virtual path in forms.conf file. but in 6i developer sute i count find any file with that name. it has only formsweb.cfg. in this file i don't know how to add virtual path with alias syntax.

can anyone help me on this please?
or else is there any other way to access the PDF?

thanks in advance.
Rama.

[EDITED by LF: fixed topic title typo]

[Updated on: Thu, 20 November 2014 04:22] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628150 is a reply to message #628095] Thu, 20 November 2014 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Quote:
i read some threads in the same forum, that i have to add the virtual path in forms.conf file.

This only applies if your Forms application is Web Deployed. If you are using Forms 6i in Client/Server mode - this does not apply.

How is your Forms application deployed?

Craig...
Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628154 is a reply to message #628150] Thu, 20 November 2014 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krr_apps
Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply.

i'm not sure about that the our forms application is web deployed.

how can i confirm about this web deployment. normally our users are accessing through URL on local network only. we can not access the applications out side the network.

and other thing is we are using this web.show_document in some forms to access the URL related to some .net applications.

if my forms are not web deployed in that cae how can i achieve this requirement.

please give me some work around.

thanks.

Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628180 is a reply to message #628154] Thu, 20 November 2014 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mughals_king
have u tried something like this.

web.show_document (v_url || v_file, '_blank');
-------------------------------------------------
Web.Show_Document('http://www.xyz.com', '_self'); 

https://community.oracle.com/thread/254370?tstart=0

[Updated on: Thu, 20 November 2014 17:23]

Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628183 is a reply to message #628180] Fri, 21 November 2014 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krr_apps
hi Mughals,

thanks for your response.

i have gone through this link. i find out some useful info.

here im giving that.

--------------------------
Something that may come close to what you want is this: generate the report to file instead of the reports cache and open the file in the browser.You have to define a directory and alias in the httpd.conf file where you store the reports.
When you open the file you still see the full url in the title, but a least you see something like 'http://myserver:7778/docs/myreport.pdf'

Include the following in your code:
-- Path to store the reports (for testing in 9iDS)
v_docpath := 'c:\ora9ids\j2ee\home\default-web-app\docs\';
v_doc := 'myfile.pdf';
v_docurl := '/docs/';
set_report_object_property(repid,report_destype,file);
set_report_object_property(repid,report_desname, v_docpath||v_doc);
v_url := v_docurl||v_doc;
web.show_document('javascript:window.open("'||v_url||'","","fullscreen=no,...");self.close()','_blank');

---------------------------------------------------------------------

as per this i have to define directory and alias in httpd.conf file.

is this applicable for forms 6i also?

can you clarify me? if so where i can do that directory definition and aliasing??
your suggestions are much helpful for me as our DBA is not supporting us to do all these activities.

thanks.
Rama
Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628208 is a reply to message #628183] Fri, 21 November 2014 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mughals_king
These links and document will help you.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.databases.oracle.tools/E-zDSlNv538

http://serverfault.com/questions/7323/httpd-conf-and-setting-up-an-alias

http://www.jroller.com/nic/entry/running_forms6i_listenerservlet_on_apache

Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628211 is a reply to message #628208] Fri, 21 November 2014 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krr_apps
Thanks Mughals,

i just checked above links. the second link may be more related to my issue. i think this work is more related to DBA also.

i will work on it.

thanks for your effort.
thanks.
Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628228 is a reply to message #628154] Fri, 21 November 2014 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Quote:
i'm not sure about that the our forms application is web deployed.

Do your users have the Forms Runtime installed on their computers? If so, you are in Client/Server mode. If they access your application through a Web Browser and the application runs as a Java Applet (either inside the Browser or in a separate window) then your application is Web Deployed.
Quote:
if my forms are not web deployed in that cae how can i achieve this requirement.

You can still use web.show_document as long as the file is in a location that is available to all users on your network - such as a common Shared Network location.
Quote:
I'm facing an issue for accessing the PDF file placed in application server through oracle forms 6i. I'm using web.show_document to call that PDF. but i could not achieved it.

What does this mean? Are you getting an error? If yes, what is the FULL error message?

You need to make sure you provide us enough information to be able to understand the problem and offer possible solutions. Smile

Craig...
Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628233 is a reply to message #628228] Fri, 21 November 2014 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krr_apps
Hi Craig,

Now i'm sure that our forms are web deployed as we are accessing the forms through web browser by installing J initiator only on users machine.

my requirement is, i will be placing my PDF file on application server by creating a folder called /Pdf_docs.

and then i'm calling web.show_document('/v01/ebizd1/pdf_docs/mypdf_name') in the forms (forms 6i) trigger.

if i run that form its giving error 404 object not found. that means form control is not routing to the specified server path of existing pdf.

for that i have to do directory definition and aliasing as per my analysis on earlier threads in our forum.

so kindly help me out on this. where to do and how to do as im not much aware of server side and DBA side activities

Thanks,
Rama

[Updated on: Fri, 21 November 2014 09:22]

Re: Displaying PDF file which is placed on application server through forms 6i by using web.show_documen [message #628376 is a reply to message #628233] Mon, 24 November 2014 10:08 Go to previous message
CraigB
Rama,
It has been a very long time since I have worked with Forms 6i. I don't even remember which Application Server you can use when deploying Forms 6i apps through the web. In any case, it within the Application Server that you will need to set up your "Directory Aliasing". Which ever application server software you are using, the documentation should specify how to do this.

Craig...
Previous Topic: Oracle Forms 11g WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED
Next Topic: FRM-40401 No changes to save error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:04:05 CDT 2024