Home » Other » General » Into the DB or outside it : here is the question !
Into the DB or outside it : here is the question ! [message #625571] Fri, 10 October 2014 08:06 Go to next message
Amine

Hi experts,
Hope you're good.
I want to discuss with you the option of inserting files into the database. There's people who prefer to insert the files (PDF files, images, ...) into the database (into a Blob column of a table). And I am part of them. I think the closest we are to the database the more options we have to deal with the file. In addition, the file is more secured. We can not copy it by a simple Copy-Paste; it's included into a tablespace which is a part of datafiles set.

Other people prefer to not insert the files into the database. They consider that we don't have to full the DB with such objects.

What did you think in both cases ?

Thanks in advance,

Amine
Re: Into the DB or outside it : here is the question ! [message #625577 is a reply to message #625571] Fri, 10 October 2014 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Database Concepts
Chapter 19 Concepts for Database Developers
Section Topics for Database Developers
Subsection Unstructured Data
Paragraph Overview of LOBs
Re: Into the DB or outside it : here is the question ! [message #625581 is a reply to message #625571] Fri, 10 October 2014 10:08 Go to previous message
John Watson
I would always consider storage outside the database on ACFS file systems. ACFS is (since mid-September) licence free and offers excellent capabilities for sharing, fault tolerance, encryption, snapshots, and replication.
Previous Topic: Webservice
Next Topic: Looking for software to track DML operations - auditing, controlling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:11:16 CDT 2024