Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Switchover_status is not allowed in standby (oracle 11g on AIX 6.1)
Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624320] Sun, 21 September 2014 11:03 Go to next message
oradba123

Hi folks,

i have configured standby database for oracle 11g (11.2.0.1.0) on AIX 6.1 .i have not check the switch over or failover , as the primary database is Production

but when i checked

@Primary side:

SQL> select switchover_status from v$database;

SWITCHOVER_STATUS
--------------------
TO STANDBY

SQL> select max(sequence#) from v$archived_log where applied='YES';

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
--------------

@Standby Side

SQL> select switchover_status from v$database;

SWITCHOVER_STATUS
--------------------
NOT ALLOWED

SQL> select max(sequence#) from v$archived_log where applied='YES';

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
--------------

but i google about SWITCHOVER_STATUS is NOT ALLOWED but it says
NOT ALLOWED - Either this is a standby database and the primary database has not been switched first, or this is a primary database and there are no standby databases.

i have checked the DR syn is fine ,RFS is working fine , archive are being applied on DR

so please let me know in future if business permits can i switch over and do the testing and switch back to primary with the same setting.

appreciate your prompt response .

Regards.
Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624323 is a reply to message #624320] Sun, 21 September 2014 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It is the normal status.

Quote:

so please let me know in future if business permits can i switch over and do the testing and switch back to primary with the same setting.

Yes, you can but the only way to know it is to actually do it.
Haven't you some test databases to exercise yourself on the subject.
Currently, as you are unskilled on the matter, it is just like you have no standby.

Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624336 is a reply to message #624320] Mon, 22 September 2014 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The current release has the command SWITCHOVER .... VERIFY designed for exactly this situation: to test, safely, whether a switchover would succeed. Perhaps you can use this to motivate the upgrade.

I do not understand why so many sites refuse to upgrade when 12.x has been GA for so long already.
Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624338 is a reply to message #624336] Mon, 22 September 2014 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
I do not understand why so many sites refuse to upgrade when 12.x has been GA for so long already.

Because their applications have not been certified for or are not supported in this version. Wink
How many software vendors support this version when you know that some are still stuck to the 10gR2?

Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624347 is a reply to message #624323] Mon, 22 September 2014 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oradba123

Haven't you some test databases to exercise yourself on the subject.
i think you haven't read my post clearly ..i have not check the switch over or swicth back and failover , as the primary database is Production
when the business permit we will do testing for new created DR.
Now I hope you are cleary.

.i have not check the switch over or failover , as the primary database is Production
you need not comment unprofessional it express you are *** professional.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624349 is a reply to message #624347] Mon, 22 September 2014 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I clearly read you are unskilled otherwise you'd not post this question.
I gave you a professional advice but you seem to not be able to understand it.
You find this funny, if I were your boss and client I won't find it this way.
I hope no life depends on you and your work.

Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624354 is a reply to message #624349] Mon, 22 September 2014 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oradba123

i am not posting to debate with you.
but you had said rude statement "Currently, as you are unskilled on the matter, it is just like you have no standby"
you have no right to say or point to any professional you understand
one more thing you are hoping no life depends on you and your work i am sure that you are for same.
don't post me comments if you can't advice technically.

Thanks
Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624356 is a reply to message #624354] Mon, 22 September 2014 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
don't post me comments if you can't advice technically.

Is this not what I've done above? Just read my first sentence.
You just picked up what you don't like but is nevertheless true, purely true maybe this is what you feel it as rude.

Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624367 is a reply to message #624356] Mon, 22 September 2014 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oradba123

i have read your first sentence as well as sentences in your first post

It is the normal status.Yes, you can but the only way to know it is to actually do i (i would like to say you thanks about this)

what about this
urrently, as you are unskilled on the matter, it is just like you have no standby
Re: Switchover_status is not allowed in standby [message #624373 is a reply to message #624367] Mon, 22 September 2014 06:37 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
what about this
urrently, as you are unskilled on the matter, it is just like you have no standby

This just means if you have a tool and don't know how to use it, it is like you have not it. It just means this and nothing more.
And "Haven't you some test databases to exercise yourself on the subject." means improve your skills making your own tests and try different scenario. It is the only way to master the subject.

Previous Topic: Datafile Fractured
Next Topic: Primary database experiencing lag when disconnect from standby
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 15:07:24 CDT 2024