Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Forms crashes when opened again after compilation (Oracle 11g , Devsuite forms and reports)
Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623643] Fri, 12 September 2014 05:28 Go to next message
lacchhii

Hi,

I have installed oracle 10G Devsuite forms and reports 10g in Linux server and its working fine.

I have installed oracle 10g and Devsuite forms and reports in laptop windows 7 64 bit . I have imported the latest dump file take from server , compiled all forms and reports, triggers, functions, procedures.

It is working without any hitches. Now one particular form which has the maximum of procedures, functions, triggers written and called for from database needs to be made some changes .

I did make the required changes in laptop and run the form it works with the changes being effected.

Now the problem is after I close this changed form, when i try to open it again it crashes. Again when i copy the old form from server it opens for the first time and when i compile it and close and try to open again it crashes.

This happens only to this particular form and all other forms (around 55) opens without any problem.

I tried to change the frmbld.exe properties to run as administrator yet i am not able to work out a solution. Some one says its because of the numerous procedures, functions and triggers which is older version which is suited for wnidows xp and once its compiled in windows 7 its crashing out.

Is there any one who has faced this same problem.

Any solution to this is appreciated
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623671 is a reply to message #623643] Fri, 12 September 2014 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Quote:
Now one particular form which has the maximum of procedures, functions, triggers written and called for from database needs to be made some changes .

Technically, Forms does not have a limit on the number of program units it can have (at least I have never been able to find documentation that specifies a limit). I have found that really large forms are more tempermental than others. I think this is because of the PL/SQL byte code stored in the form is too much for the Forms Builder to handle - or at least that is how it appears.

I have two recomendations.

First, if your Form has a lot of Forms Program Units, try moving them to a PL/SQL Library and then attach the library to your Form. This will reduce the size of your form and the number of program units stored in the form.

Second, I recommend you try a fix I learned from Steve Cosner - with a new copy of your form perform a Find and Replace operation on the semicolan (";") and replace it with a semicolan (";"). This will force Forms to invalidate all PL/SQL blocks and drop any stored byte code in the form. Now save your form. Close it and re-open.

Lastly, you can look at the dump file the Forms Builder creates when it crashes to get a hint as what is causing crash.

Quote:
Some one says its because of the numerous procedures, functions and triggers which is older version which is suited for wnidows xp and once its compiled in windows 7 its crashing out.

I disagree, as I mentioned above, large Forms are more tempermental that smaller ones. The stored byte code is the most likely cause. Another benefit of performing the Find/Replace on the semicolan is that is shrinks your Form file size. If you compare the size of your form before and after the Find/Replace on the semicolan you will be amazed at how much smaller your form is after replacing the semicolan with a semicolan.

Craig...
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623673 is a reply to message #623643] Fri, 12 September 2014 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
I have Developer Suite 10g and moved from XP to Win 7 a few months back and not one single one of my 300+ forms crashes.

Did you put the proper patches in for Forms 10g to work in Windows 7?

What do you mean by imported latest dump file? What does that have to do with Forms?
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623680 is a reply to message #623673] Fri, 12 September 2014 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lacchhii

Quote:

I have two recommendations.

First, if your Form has a lot of Forms Program Units, try moving them to a PL/SQL Library and then attach the library to your Form. This will reduce the size of your form and the number of program units stored in the form.
>>>> There is a PL/SQL Library attached to every form which has the stored database procedures, functions. Apart from that there are some in Program units.[/color]

Second, I recommend you try a fix I learned from Steve Cosner - with a new copy of your form perform a Find and Replace operation on the semicolan (";") and replace it with a semicolan (";"). This will force Forms to invalidate all PL/SQL blocks and drop any stored byte code in the form. Now save your form. Close it and re-open.

>>> I did not get this clearly. Should it be done in the form before making any changes or compiling . I checked in the form . There are 7446 matches found for ";" in various procedure, functions, triggers in this particular form. Should this be replaced with ";".

Just wanted to check if this is what you mean before replacing it. What does "stored byte code" means.

Lastly, you can look at the dump file the Forms Builder creates when it crashes to get a hint as what is causing crash.

>>> Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: frmbld.exe
Application Version: 10.1.2.0
Application Timestamp: 42d63632
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7bafa
Exception Code: ebad198c
Exception Offset: 0000b727
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 5377
Additional Information 2: 53774b81b6ee97cd1a6411c6c1a340eb
Additional Information 3: 1d21
Additional Information 4: 1d217675ec322c518f459af7b0ad8353

Looking forward for your help in resolving this issue.
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623701 is a reply to message #623680] Fri, 12 September 2014 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
I see application version says 10.1.2.0 in the error file.

I haven't had a crash, so I don't have a file to look at to know if it reports properly, but you need forms 10.1.2.3 to run in windows 7.
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623714 is a reply to message #623701] Fri, 12 September 2014 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Quote:
>>> I did not get this clearly. Should it be done in the form before making any changes or compiling . I checked in the form . There are 7446 matches found for ";" in various procedure, functions, triggers in this particular form. Should this be replaced with ";".

Yes, you are search for the ";" and replacing it with ";". This will essentially invalidate all PL/SQL in your Form and the compiled byte code will be deleted. Once you've done this - save, close and attempt to reopen your form.

Quote:
but you need forms 10.1.2.3 to run in windows 7.

Technically yes, you should be at 10.1.2.3 to be supported by Oracle. However, from personal experience, 10.1.2.0.2 works just fine on Windows 7 32/64 bit. This is just my experience and others experiences will likely differ. Smile

Craig...
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623799 is a reply to message #623714] Sun, 14 September 2014 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lacchhii

Hi Joy_Division

I am little bit confused. Pl let me know does version 10.1.2.3 and 10.1.2.0 makes a difference. Then why is only 1 form out of around 55 forms getting crashed. I have installed oracle forms 10g 32 bit in windows 7 64 bit laptop and also in windows 7 32 bit desktop. In both the system the same form crashes.

Is there any link to download forms 10.1.2.3 to solve this problem.

@craigb>>>

Quote:
I recommend you try a fix I learned from Steve Cosner - with a new copy of your form perform a Find and Replace operation on the semicolan (";") and replace it with a semicolan (";"). This will force Forms to invalidate all PL/SQL blocks and drop any stored byte code in the form. Now save your form. Close it and re-open.

I tried doing this. It does not help. The same problem continues. I tried to rename the crashed form, copied it to linux server and again copied it to laptop and opened. It opened , but again when i compiled it, closed and tried it to open it again it crashes.

Its looking so strange to me. Don't have much of knowledge on oracle. so can't comment much.

Any other suggestion to solve this will be helpful.
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623858 is a reply to message #623799] Mon, 15 September 2014 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Quote:
I tried doing this. It does not help. The same problem continues. I tried to rename the crashed form, copied it to linux server and again copied it to laptop and opened. It opened , but again when i compiled it, closed and tried it to open it again it crashes.

Try just opening and saving - Don't compile. If that doesn't work - start looking at what this form does that is totally differnt from your other forms. Try removing all of the Program Units and compile and save. If the Form opens without crashing at this point, start adding your Program Units back one by one (compile, save, and reopen) until you find the one program unit that is causing the problem.

If the Form crashes with all of the Program Units removed, start looking at attached libraries, object properties, etc., to find what is different about this form from others. I'm not sure what else to try after this.

Craig...

Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623870 is a reply to message #623799] Mon, 15 September 2014 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
lacchhii wrote on Sun, 14 September 2014 23:16
Hi Joy_Division

I am little bit confused. Pl let me know does version 10.1.2.3 and 10.1.2.0 makes a difference. Then why is only 1 form out of around 55 forms getting crashed. I have installed oracle forms 10g 32 bit in windows 7 64 bit laptop and also in windows 7 32 bit desktop. In both the system the same form crashes.

Is there any link to download forms 10.1.2.3 to solve this problem.

I was actually unaware what Craig said about 10.1.2.0.2 working in Windows 7. I had a problem with it (sorry, I do not recall what the issue was), so I put the patch in for 10.1.2.3.

If it is just one form, it is possible that you hit some sort of bug that the patch may fix.

10g is not available for download from oracle anymore. It has been out of support for years.
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623897 is a reply to message #623858] Tue, 16 September 2014 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lacchhii

Hi craig

i tried to open, save and closed without compiling. It reopened without crashing. So it looks like something changes when the form is compiled.

As for your suggestion of removing all program unit and adding it one by one looks a very tedious job. There are 105 procedures in this form.

if nothing works then i have to try this option.

Now i am more curious to know whats the problem than the solution.

If anything else to suggest please do let me know.

will update you the progress
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623916 is a reply to message #623897] Tue, 16 September 2014 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lacchhii

Hi craig,

One thing i observed in this form is when i compile it does not create a fmx file . it creates as a .2014 file. The problem might be due to this. But i do not know why it does not create a fmx file when i follow the same procedure for other forms where it creates a fmx file.
Re: Forms crashes when opened again after compilation [message #623942 is a reply to message #623916] Tue, 16 September 2014 08:29 Go to previous message
CraigB
Have you tried just using the Forms Compiler (frmcmp.exe) to compile your form? Also, the Ctrl+T key strokes in the Forms Builder will generate a Forms Executable.
Quote:
One thing i observed in this form is when i compile it does not create a fmx file . it creates as a .2014 file.

I've never encountered this myself. Could you give me an example of the full file name? I'm wondering if this might be a Forms Builder error dump file.

Craig...
Previous Topic: FND_REQUEST.SUBMIT_REQUEST
Next Topic: How do I get an active calendar on the forms toolbar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:41:32 CDT 2024