Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Update trigger (Form 6i window 7 ultimate(32))
Update trigger [message #621296] Tue, 12 August 2014 07:54 Go to next message
kilimanjaro
Hello friends

Please assist

I have a form which pops up with TRANSACTION_NUMBER as a global value with the following data block;

create table donationsx(
TRANSACTION_NUMBER VARCHAR(10)unique not null,
amount number(10)not null
)
/
Now when I want to make changes to amount,it wont allow me to save do to unique constraint (TRANSACTION_NUMBER);

how do I go around that?

I'm using forms 6i.

Thank you.

Re: Update trigger [message #621299 is a reply to message #621296] Tue, 12 August 2014 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
By using execute query to populate the block rather than whatever method you are using.
Re: Update trigger [message #621324 is a reply to message #621299] Tue, 12 August 2014 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
hello Cookiemonster

the form has two blocks and this is what i have on new_form_instance

:DONATIONSX.TRANSACTION_NUMBER:=:global.shn;
:DONATIONSX.AMOUNT:=:global.amount;

DECLARE
cursor c1 is
select TRANSACTION_NUMBER,target,attending_personnel,payment_mode ,
account_number,account_name,branch,bank_name,currency_type from DONATIONS;

begin
open c1;
loop

fetch c1 into :DONATIONS.TRANSACTION_NUMBER,
:DONATIONS.target,
:DONATIONS.attending_personnel,
:DONATIONS.payment_mode ,
:DONATIONS.account_number,
:DONATIONS.account_name,
:DONATIONS.branch,
:DONATIONS.bank_name,
:DONATIONS.currency_type;

exit when c1%notfound;
--IF :A.CHK='Y' THEN
--:b.no:=a_record.no;
--:b.name:=a_record.name;

next_record;

end loop;

end;

=========

The problem is I can NOT save any changes because of uniqueness of transaction_number of the first block.

Please asisst

[EDITED by LF: fixed typo; was "I can save"]

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2014 00:09] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Update trigger [message #621326 is a reply to message #621324] Tue, 12 August 2014 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
No. The problem is you are using a cursor to populate the block.
If you don't use execute_query to populate a block then as far as forms is concerned any data put in the block is a new record and it should create an insert statement for it. This in turn causes your unique key violation.
The correct solution to this problem is to use the default query mechanism to populate the block - execute_query.
Re: Update trigger [message #621327 is a reply to message #621326] Tue, 12 August 2014 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Hmm - actually this is more complicated than I thought - though populating a block with a cursor is still wrong.
Is DONATIONSX a database block?
Where are values for the globals coming from?
Which items in the form are the users allowed to change?
Re: Update trigger [message #621328 is a reply to message #621327] Tue, 12 August 2014 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Thank you cookiemonster

DONATIONSX is a datablock with two fields

it is also a master block and it gets its global value from an open form .users are not allowed to change anything on DONATIONSX block.
the detail block is the one the cursor c1 is feeding in and all fields are changable.
Re: Update trigger [message #621329 is a reply to message #621328] Tue, 12 August 2014 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I asked if DONATIONSX is a database datablock. It's implied in your response that the answer is yes, but it'd help if you explicitly said so.

What is the relationship between the datablocks?
Re: Update trigger [message #621330 is a reply to message #621329] Tue, 12 August 2014 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro

TRANSACTION_NUMBER is a primary key in both DONATIONSX,DONATIONS (detail block) and bank_tra (of which the global value comes from).

I think i need an insert trigger and update statements .Insert if the DONATIONSX table is empty and update if it has data.But I'm getting things wrong somewhere I guess.
Re: Update trigger [message #621331 is a reply to message #621330] Tue, 12 August 2014 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Do you understand the difference between a database datablock and a non-database datablock? I've asked twice now if donationsx is a database datablock and you still haven't answered me.

Re: Update trigger [message #621335 is a reply to message #621331] Tue, 12 August 2014 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Yes it is a database block.Sorry we were out of power here.its africa
Re: Update trigger [message #621337 is a reply to message #621335] Tue, 12 August 2014 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Both are database blocks
Re: Update trigger [message #621368 is a reply to message #621337] Tue, 12 August 2014 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
I have tried this on key-commit trigger still it doesn't give me results i wanted.

declare

xp varchar(10);
begin
begin

select TRANSACTION_NUMBER into xp from DONATIONSX
where TRANSACTION_NUMBER=:DONATIONSX.TRANSACTION_NUMBER;

exception
when no_data_found then
null;
end;

if xp =:DONATIONSX.TRANSACTION_NUMBER then
update DONATIONSX
set TRANSACTION_NUMBER=XP
where TRANSACTION_NUMBER=:DONATIONSX.TRANSACTION_NUMBER;

--else
--insert into DONATIONSX
--values( ':DONATION',:DONATIONSX.amount );
end if;
end;
Re: Update trigger [message #621384 is a reply to message #621368] Wed, 13 August 2014 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As both master and detail blocks are database blocks (i.e. based on a table), uniqueness is violated as soon as you do
:DONATIONSX.TRANSACTION_NUMBER := :global.shn;
:DONATIONSX.AMOUNT             := :global.amount;
(if :global.shn's value already exists in the DONATIONSX table. Apparently, it does).

You populated its detail block using a loop. However, there's no WHERE clause (see cursor's SELECT statement) so you select all records from the DONATIONS table, regardless of DONATIONSX block's values.

Besides, DONATIONSX table contains
TRANSACTION_NUMBER VARCHAR(10) unique not null
column. UNIQUE + NOT NULL = PRIMARY KEY (not that it would solve anything here; I'm just saying).

In WHEN-NEW-FORM-INSTANCE (WNFI) trigger you should first check whether record in DONATIONSX table (WHERE TRANSACTION_NUMBER = :GLOBAL.SHN) already exists. If so, you should perform EXECUTE_QUERY on the DONATIONSX block. Create ONETIME_WHERE clause (with SET_BLOCK_PROPERTY), putting the appropriate WHERE clause in it. If it does NOT exist, then put global variables into block items.

As of the detail block, no doubt - you must abandon the LOOP idea and let Forms do its job. If you used a data block wizard to create master-detail relationship, Forms already prepared required code which will make sure that master-detail querying mechanism brings records from the DETAILS table into the DETAILS block. You don't have to code anything here.

Here's what I was talking about (untested):
-- WNFI trigger
declare
  l_transaction_number  donationsx.transaction_number%type;
begin
  -- I'm using MAX in order to avoid NO-DATA-FOUND. As this is unique value,
  -- only one value would be returned anyway (if it exists)
  select max(d.transaction_number)
    into l_transaction_number
    from donationsx d
    where d.transaction_number = :global.shn;

if l_transaction_number is null then
     -- record does NOT exist
     :donationsx.transaction_number := :global.shn;
     :donationsx.amount             := :global.amount;
  else
     -- record already exists - fetch it!
     set_block_property('donationsx', onetime_where, 'where transaction_number = ' || :global.shn);
     go_block('donationsx');
     execute_query;
  end if;
end;

Re: Update trigger [message #621419 is a reply to message #621384] Wed, 13 August 2014 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Hello Littlefoot

sorry for constant queries.Im stack in declaring my table. How do I do that?

this is my table

create table donationsx(
)
/

Thank you.
Re: Update trigger [message #621420 is a reply to message #621419] Wed, 13 August 2014 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
There's nothing wrong with it; I was just saying that this (your code):
TRANSACTION_NUMBER   VARCHAR (10) UNIQUE NOT NULL

is the same as (my code)
TRANSACTION_NUMBER   VARCHAR (10) PRIMARY KEY

Unique keys allow nulls, but - as you declared that column both UNIQUE and NOT NULL, it has the same effect as if you created a PRIMARY KEY on that column.
Re: Update trigger [message #621426 is a reply to message #621419] Wed, 13 August 2014 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro

declare

l_transaction_number donationsx.transaction_number%type;
begin
select transaction_number
into l_transaction_number
from donationsx
where transaction_number = :global.shn;

if l_transaction_number is null then
-- record does NOT exist
:donationsx.transaction_number := :global.shn;
:donationsx.amount := :global.amount;

else if l_transaction_number is not null then
:donationsx.transaction_number:=l_transaction_number
and :donationsx.amount=:global.amount;

-- record already exists - fetch it!
-- set_block_property('donationsx', onetime_where, 'where transaction_number = ' || :global.shn);
-- go_block('donationsx');
-- execute_query;
end if;
end;

the cursor blinks at the end; and so I cant compile
Re: Update trigger [message #621427 is a reply to message #621426] Wed, 13 August 2014 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Please read and follow How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read?

The cursor blinks at the end? The end of what?

I can see various syntax errors mind - check your IF statements, they're a mess.
Also if that select at the start finds no matching rows you'll get a no_data_found error (the comment states how to avoid that problem but you've ignored it).
Re: Update trigger [message #621432 is a reply to message #621427] Wed, 13 August 2014 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
In fact - why didn't you just use LF's code as it is? It looks far more correct than your modified version.
Re: Update trigger [message #621460 is a reply to message #621432] Wed, 13 August 2014 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Thank you all for your help .

But Little foot code didn't come up with what I wanted.
Re: Update trigger [message #621461 is a reply to message #621432] Wed, 13 August 2014 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
this is the table concerned and also the form where the global value comes from .Thank you.

create table donationsx(
)
/

create table donations(
TRANSACTION_NUMBER VARCHAR(10)not null,
target varchar(50)not null,
attending_personnel varchar(15)not null,
payment_mode varchar(15)not null,--Bank,mobile transfer
account_number varchar(15)not null,--or mobile phone number
account_name varchar(20)not null,--or mobile phone name
branch varchar (20)not null,--or mobile operator
bank_name varchar(15)not null,--or mobile operator
currency_type varchar(3)not null-- TZS or USD
)
/
Re: Update trigger [message #621463 is a reply to message #621460] Wed, 13 August 2014 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I asked you to use code tags - that includes for DDL statements, don't make me ask again.

milikiel wrote on Wed, 13 August 2014 14:36

In what way exactly does it not come up with what you want?
Bare in mind that we can't necessarily download and open any fmbs (I certainly can't, don't have a working form builder installation here).
Re: Update trigger [message #621480 is a reply to message #621463] Wed, 13 August 2014 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
/* next time i will code my scripts as you suggested*/.
declare

l_transaction_number donationsx.transaction_number%type;
l_amount donationsx.amount%type;

cursor c1 is
select DONATIONS.TRANSACTION_NUMBER,DONATIONS.target,DONATIONS.attending_personnel,DONATIONS.payment_mode ,
DONATIONS.account_number,DONATIONS.account_name,DONATIONS.branch,DONATIONS.bank_name,
DONATIONS.currency_type,DONATIONSx.TRANSACTION_NUMBER,DONATIONSx.amount from DONATIONS,DONATIONSX;

begin
select transaction_number,amount
into l_transaction_number, l_amount
from donationsx
where transaction_number = :global.shn;

if l_transaction_number is null and l_amount is null then

:donationsx.transaction_number :=:global.Shn;
:donationsx.amount:= :global.amount;

else if l_transaction_number is not null and l_amount is not null then

open c1;
loop

fetch c1 into :DONATIONS.TRANSACTION_NUMBER,
:DONATIONS.target,
:DONATIONS.attending_personnel,
:DONATIONS.payment_mode ,
:DONATIONS.account_number,
:DONATIONS.account_name,
:DONATIONS.branch,
:DONATIONS.bank_name,
:DONATIONS.currency_type,
:DONATIONSx.TRANSACTION_NUMBER,
:DONATIONSx.amount;

exit when c1%notfound;

next_record;
end loop;
-- here i want to say if :DONATIONSx.TRANSACTION_NUMBER is pulled from the table as cursor c1 shows then when changes
-- are made to other fields apart from :DONATIONSx.TRANSACTION_NUMBER ,donationsx.transaction_number should be upadated.
--This is last thing im requesting.Thank you. This statement here compiled successful .
-- else if l_transaction_number is not null and l_amount is not null then
-- UPDATE DONATIONSx
-- SET TRANSACTION_NUMBER=l_transaction_number;

-- end if;
end if;
end if;
end;

Re: Update trigger [message #621489 is a reply to message #621480] Wed, 13 August 2014 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
milikiel wrote on Wed, 13 August 2014 18:44
/* next time i will code my scripts as you suggested*/.

Not next time. Now.
It takes 10 seconds to read how to use code tags. Failure to do so is just lazy.

milikiel wrote on Wed, 13 August 2014 18:44

-- here i want to say if :DONATIONSx.TRANSACTION_NUMBER is pulled from the table as cursor c1 shows then when changes
-- are made to other fields apart from :DONATIONSx.TRANSACTION_NUMBER ,donationsx.transaction_number should be upadated.

I don't understand that at all. Transaction_number is your key. Keys should generally not be updated.
If you want to be able to update the other columns then you must use execute_query to populate the block.
Populating a database datablock with a cursor is always wrong
Re: Update trigger [message #621508 is a reply to message #621489] Wed, 13 August 2014 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Ok

in such scenario,how do I use execute query?

Thank you.

Re: Update trigger [message #621515 is a reply to message #621508] Thu, 14 August 2014 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As I described here.

Quote:

What exactly does that mean? In theory (based on what you said so far), it *should* work.
Re: Update trigger [message #621516 is a reply to message #621515] Thu, 14 August 2014 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Hello Littlefoot.

It didn't work because nothing Pope up.I had to query.Even the global value didn't come up.Can you please check my last query I posted here and advice from that last point?

Thank you.
Re: Update trigger [message #621518 is a reply to message #621515] Thu, 14 August 2014 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
@littlefoot .
The Idea of when new form instance execute query if condition is not true is good.But I don't know how to put it down.

Thank you.
Re: Update trigger [message #621519 is a reply to message #621518] Thu, 14 August 2014 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
There are two blocks. "Nothing pope up" refers which one of them? Master or detail? Master block should have been populated (both items) with either global variable's values, or the ones fetched from the table (by EXECUTE_QUERY).

If the first option didn't work, it means that global variables didn't contain anything.
If the second option didn't work, it means that there's no record in a table that satisfies WHERE condition.

So, which one of them is true?

Put MESSAGE calls into code I suggested (I'm not going to review code you wrote, it is wrong anyway) in order to track trigger's execution. Display global variable's values so that you are sure that they aren't empty.
Re: Update trigger [message #621812 is a reply to message #621519] Mon, 18 August 2014 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CraigB
Having read through this whole thread, I've got a few observations...
First; Your data blocks are Base-Table Blocks (BTB). Why are you manually populating them through code instead of letting Forms default functionality do the work for you? As others have mentioned, you should be using the Execute_Query() built-in instead of using a Cursor For Loop. For example, your When-New-Form-Instance (WNFI) trigger could be as simple as the following:
/* Sample When-New-Form-Instance trigger */
/* Code is untested, but should work.    */
DECLARE
   v_def_where   VARCHAR2(250);
BEGIN
   v_def_where := 'transaction_number = '||NAME_IN('GLOBAL.SHN')||' and amount = '||NAME_IN('GLOBAL.AMOUNT');
   Set_Block_Property('DONATIONSX',DEFAULT_WHERE,v_def_where);
   Execute_Query;
END;

This code sample assumes you have a Data Block Relationship created between your DONATIONS and DONATIONSX data blocks.

Second; If you are going to do this manually, fine...but you need to understand the ramifications of doing this. Manually populating a BTB will cause Forms to treat each record as a NEW record (because Forms didn't query the record into the block). Therefore, when you attempt to use Forms default functionality to save (Commit_Form) records to your table, Forms will attempt an INSERT - not an UPDATE. If you are going to manually display your data, then you MUST manually perform the DML by overriding the On-Insert, On-Update and On-Delete triggers. This means, you have to keep track of your changes so you know to do an Update versus an Insert - this is way more work that you should be doing and it makes your Form very buggy and hard to maintain.

Third, your code has major problems...
Quote:
cursor c1 is
select DONATIONS.TRANSACTION_NUMBER,DONATIONS.target,DONATIONS.attending_personnel,DONATIONS.payment_mode ,
DONATIONS.account_number,DONATIONS.account_name,DONATIONS.branch,DONATIONS.bank_name,
DONATIONS.currency_type,DONATIONSx.TRANSACTION_NUMBER,DONATIONSx.amount from DONATIONS,DONATIONSX;

This cursor produces a cartesian result set - all of the records from DONATIONS and all of the records from DONATIONSX - multiplied by the number of records in DONATIONS.
At the very least, your cursor should link the two tables by the TRANSACTION_NUMBER and you should be limiting the results by the :GLOBAL.SHN. For example:
   CURSOR c1 (p_trans_num VARCHAR2) IS
      SELECT DONATIONS.TRANSACTION_NUMBER, DONATIONS.target, DONATIONS.attending_personnel
            ,DONATIONS.payment_mode, DONATIONS.account_number, DONATIONS.account_name
            ,DONATIONS.branch, DONATIONS.bank_name, DONATIONS.currency_type
            ,DONATIONSx.TRANSACTION_NUMBER,DONATIONSx.amount 
        FROM donations, donationsx
       WHERE donations.transaction_number = donationsx.transaction_number
         AND donations.transaction_number = p_trans_num;

Then, when you open your cursor, you should pass the :GLOBAL.shn as a parameter to the cursor...
   OPEN c1(NAME_IN('GLOBAL.SHN'));
   LOOP
      FETCH c1 INTO ...

Lastly, I strongly recommend you change your Form design to let Forms populate your data blocks. This makes your Forms easier to create and maintain and less buggy.

Hope this helps,
Craig...
Re: Update trigger [message #622127 is a reply to message #621812] Thu, 21 August 2014 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kilimanjaro
Hello Craig

Thank you very much for your help.

I tried your solution and it compiled successful .Unfortunately it cant perform query
Ora-40505 unable to perform query.

Where you wrote 'NAME_IN',Aim I supposed to change it something else?

Thank you very much.
Re: Update trigger [message #622148 is a reply to message #622127] Thu, 21 August 2014 07:40 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
Leave the name_in as it is.
When you get the error, click on display error on the runtime help menu.
Post the full error message from that here if you can't work out what the problem is.
Previous Topic: Hierarchical tree in form 6i
Next Topic: Form is not committing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:22:32 CDT 2024