Home » Other » Community Hangout » THANK YOU in different cultures :-) (Merci in French, did you know that? )
THANK YOU in different cultures :-) [message #616426] Mon, 16 June 2014 16:22 Go to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Well, I am thinking how to start with. Anyway, here I go...

One good thing I like about American culture is the way they THANK someone at certain occasions. As the saying goes, THANK YOU is such an incredible thing which is undoubtedly above everything and is accepted with great honour and respect. So, I was just contemplating how do people from different geographic locations do it. Occasionally/seldom/often? How does the other person responds? Does everywhere THANKS GIVING day is celebrated? We don't have such a day in India though, however, we say it so often that everyday is certainly a thanks giving day. But again it depends on the person's behavioral aspects, indeed.

I was always told that Britishers are quite sarcastic and stiff in nature, I didn't feel so while I met them and I was greeted well. And thus I got that prejudice out of my mind. How is it with other cultures? We have folks in this forum visiting from so many different locations throughout the world.

Once I started learning French, went for a short term class/course or whatever you call it, but I was so bad with my put up accent that my teacher just ignored me everyday(just because I couldn't say "MERCI" in that particular french accent, I still believe I did well, don't know what Mr. Adrien wanted, huh). Ultimately I left the poor soul to teach others.

To cut it short, what do you guys have to say?

Thanks(Merci, hope I at least spelled it correctly this time Smile ),
Lalit
Re: THANK YOU in different cultures :-) [message #616463 is a reply to message #616426] Tue, 17 June 2014 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If I remember correctly, Thanks Giving Day in the US was first celebrated by the Pilgrims who landed on Plymouth Rock. Some people would say that if Plymouth Rock had landed on the Pilgrims, the world might be a better place.
Re: THANK YOU in different cultures :-) [message #616465 is a reply to message #616463] Tue, 17 June 2014 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
/forum/fa/449/0/
Re: THANK YOU in different cultures :-) [message #616466 is a reply to message #616463] Tue, 17 June 2014 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Well, in Germany we say "Danke"

"Thanksgiving Day" as a national holiday is not celebrated here. There are often Harvest Festivals in the fall, but they are celebrated on different days in different regions or even different towns, depending on when the actual harvest of the historically most important regional food usually happens.
Re: THANK YOU in different cultures :-) [message #616471 is a reply to message #616466] Tue, 17 June 2014 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
ThomasG
There are often Harvest Festivals in the fall ...

I know only one - Oktoberfest!

/forum/fa/11968/0/

I suppose that everyone, in every country, every region, everywhere finds the motive to drink and guttle once in a while. If possible, twice a week /forum/fa/917/0/.

Oh, yes - in Croatian, it is "Hvala" (thank you).
Re: THANK YOU in different cultures :-) [message #616477 is a reply to message #616471] Tue, 17 June 2014 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Littlefoot wrote on Tue, 17 June 2014 11:16
I know only one - Oktoberfest!

Ah, the Oktoberfest is not strictly speaking a Harvest Festival. The German "Harvest Festivals" are a log more sedate than that.

The Oktoberfest basically started of as a feast for a royal wedding in 1810 (between crown prince Ludwig and Pricess Therese, after which the Theresienwiese was named), where horse races were held. Added to that was the tradition that in October, before the beginning of the new brewing season in fall the breweries had to get rid of a lot of "old beer from last years batch" Wink

Ludwig then decided to have the celebration again every year, and since he was a big fan of the old Greeks, the early Oktoberfest then where styled somewhat after the Olympic games, with a lot of sports events where everybody could take part before the final big horse race that was the main event.
Re: THANK YOU in different cultures :-) [message #616479 is a reply to message #616477] Tue, 17 June 2014 05:16 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
Issue : here
kurki wrote on Tue, 31 December 2013 15:45
On every year october my database performance will be down

Reason :
Littlefoot wrote on Tue, 17 June 2014 14:46

I suppose that everyone, in every country, every region, everywhere finds the motive to drink and guttle once in a while. If possible, twice a week /forum/fa/917/0/.

Root Cause :
ThomasG wrote on Tue, 17 June 2014 15:30
Added to that was the tradition that in October, before the beginning of the new brewing season in fall the breweries had to get rid of a lot of "old beer from last years batch" Wink

Just kidding
Previous Topic: General question in the General Forum
Next Topic: disruptive technology?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:06:51 CDT 2024