Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu
Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614639] Sat, 24 May 2014 16:55 Go to next message
dancko
Hi at all,

I'm newbie with oracle Database and I'm attempting to install oracle XE 11g R2 on linux Ubuntu 13.10.

Seeing several tutorials on the internet I have seen that between the steps for installing oracle XE 11g R2 there is always the following:

-) We need to add oracle user and oinstall, dba, nobody group.

Please, can anyone explain me precisely why do we need to add oracle user?

I already have a user (my_user) on ubuntu. Why cannot I install oracle XE in the User my_user?

thanks in advance.

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614641 is a reply to message #614639] Sat, 24 May 2014 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
It is your system & you are free to (ab)use it any way you choose.
No Oracle version is certified on Ubuntu. It may or may not work on Ubuntu. If it does not work, few folks, if any, will provide you assistance.

>Please, can anyone explain me precisely why do we need to add oracle user?
Because this is how Oracle is coded & documented.

>-) We need to add oracle user and oinstall, dba, nobody group.
Group can be important, too.

>Why cannot I install oracle XE in the User my_user?
You are free to use my_user, but don't expect others to assist you when errors occur.
You're On Your Own!
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614645 is a reply to message #614641] Sun, 25 May 2014 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Hi BlackSwan, thanks for the response.

-) Because this is how Oracle is coded & documented.

Indeed, Oracle create oracle user per default when installing oracle XE.

I do not well know linux system but i think that Oracle create an oracle user during installation mainly for a permission reason. Is that right?

In this way oracle user is Owner and ONLY it can do all operation on Database having all permission. Is that right?

Finally, which is the linux operating system distro for which Oracle XE 11g R2 is certified? Peeking into forum it seems that Oracle is certified for the red hat and suse distro. Is that right?

Where can I find official documentation for install Oracle 11g r2 XE on linux?

thanks.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 May 2014 03:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614652 is a reply to message #614645] Sun, 25 May 2014 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
dancko wrote on Sun, 25 May 2014 02:42

Where can I find official documentation for install Oracle 11g r2 XE on linux?

The entire Oracle documentation library is at http://docs.oracle.com/
Just drill down to the product and version you need. Every database version has an OS-family-specific installation guide. One of the interesting things you will find there is a list of supported OS's. And a list of installation prerequisites for that OS.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614657 is a reply to message #614652] Sun, 25 May 2014 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I do not well know linux system
then consider installing VirtualBox on your Windows system.
Next load a pre-configured VM which runs Oracle's Linux and has Oracle DB already installed.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614659 is a reply to message #614657] Sun, 25 May 2014 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Just wondering: if you don't know Linux, why are you installing Oracle on an operating system you aren't familiar with? There's 11g XE for MS Windows as well (if you know Windows better). Here's 11g XE download, while here you can find pre-built virtual machines.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614669 is a reply to message #614659] Sun, 25 May 2014 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Hi LittleFoot,

I'm installing Oracle on linux for learn how to do.

However i have already seen how to do.

I have installed VMware (i do not like virtual box) and i have installed and configured CentOS 6.5 linux system as guest operating system (in the above post i have said: I do not WELL know linux system. This not means that i do not know at all linux system).

Now i'm trying to install 11g XE on CentOS based on official documentation.

If i have any problem i'll be here for ask you to help me. Razz Razz

[Updated on: Sun, 25 May 2014 11:50]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614675 is a reply to message #614669] Sun, 25 May 2014 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
No Oracle version is certified on any CentOS version.
You're On Your Own (YOYO)!
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614683 is a reply to message #614675] Sun, 25 May 2014 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
BlackSwan, 11g r2 Xe is certified for RedHat.

CentOS and redhat are pratically the same thing.

I think that for to practice and for to begin should be more than good.

Anyway i have followed this link: http://kamranagayev.com/step-by-step-oracle-guides/

I think i can trust of that link.

Instead, why do you not give me a useful suggestion on what i can to do??... so, I'm not On My Own!! Smile

What i want to do is to install Oracle DB on linux system for practice. Which distro of linux and which version of Oracle can i use?

[Updated on: Sun, 25 May 2014 15:01]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614684 is a reply to message #614683] Sun, 25 May 2014 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
The obvious choice of is would be Oracle linux
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614685 is a reply to message #614684] Sun, 25 May 2014 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Oracle solaris?
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #614687 is a reply to message #614685] Sun, 25 May 2014 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Oracle Linux
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #616891 is a reply to message #614687] Sun, 22 June 2014 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Hi

I'm continuing my installation of oracle db server on linux OS. I broken off for a little period but now I want re-start.

I'm following this official guide: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e47689.pdf and in the Package Requirement section at chapter two it talk about of s390 and s390x package versions.

Can anyone tell me what means (and what are) s390 and s390x

thanks in advance.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #616895 is a reply to message #616891] Sun, 22 June 2014 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
https://www.google.com/search?q=s390x&rlz=1C1LENN_enUS502US502&oq=s390x&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0 &ie=UTF-8
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #616902 is a reply to message #616895] Sun, 22 June 2014 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
As far as I understood, googling on internet, s390 refers to IBM mainframe which have a particular architecture identified by 31-bit-address/32-bit-data. Moreover, machines supporting that architecture have been sold under the brand System/390 (S/390).

Then, subsequently, IBM renamed S390 in System z.

So, from what i have said above, Linux system on System z is a 32 bit distro developed suitably for that hardware architecture.

So, s390x is the 64 bit distro of linux for System z.

It's right?

[Updated on: Sun, 22 June 2014 10:35]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #616941 is a reply to message #616891] Mon, 23 June 2014 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Those references are under a section entitled "Oracle Database Package Requirements for IBM: Linux on System z"

So you've gone from Ubuntu (a Yugo) to IBM System-Z (a Formula-1)?

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #616945 is a reply to message #616941] Mon, 23 June 2014 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OMG! Where did you find Yugo?!?

25 years ago I lived in a country whose name was Yugoslavia (so, guess how that car got its name). Yugo was produced in "Zastava", a Serbian factory located in Kragujevac. That factory produced weapons as well, such as Kalashnikov. It was bombed by NATO during the late 90s because of Serbian involvement into Kosovo happenings.

I remember first Yugos ... it was a small car, reminded me of WV Golf (look, what a strange looking Golf!). The best series was Yugo America, exported into the USA. Ordinary people over here couldn't even buy it. The car also took its role in Die Hard with Bruce Willis. History says that it was the ugliest, the worst, etc. car ever (I don't agree with that, though).
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #616971 is a reply to message #616945] Mon, 23 June 2014 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Littlefoot -

I worked for an auto mfg company in the US at the time. Every year we had 'quality month' and one of the things we did was bring in cars from other manufacturers and put them through our own quality inspection as a comparison. We brought in a range of high and low-end cars. The year we brought in a Yugo it set an all-time record low score. It was reported that they were so bad they would regularly break down just trying to drive them off the ship at the port.

Yeah, I'd have to say it was quite possibly the worst car ever built. And you said the US got the better ones?

It was my understanding they were technically the same as a Fiat 128, Yugo having purchased the plans and tooling from Fiat.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #616979 is a reply to message #616971] Mon, 23 June 2014 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
EdStevens

And you said the US got the better ones?

Right; there was Yugo 45, somewhat stronger Yugo 55 and hard-to-reach Yugo America. Believe or not, these cars can still be seen on our roads.

Quote:

It was my understanding they were technically the same as a Fiat 128, Yugo having purchased the plans and tooling from Fiat.

I don't know about technical data, but yes - "Zastava" (factory) was producing Fiat's vehicles for ages. Fiat 750 (ficho) was probably the most popular. My parents went to their honey moon with it. It was a 1000 km trip (one direction). I remember that they said that the car broke somewhere in the middle of Bosnia; while my father went to find a mechanic, mother stayed by the car with a hatchet in her hand (just in case) /forum/fa/917/0/
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617217 is a reply to message #616979] Thu, 26 June 2014 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Sorry, you are Right!

It has been a my mistake.

I had not realized that those references (packages for s390 and packages for s390x) are under a section entitled "Oracle Database Package Requirements for IBM: Linux on System z".

[Updated on: Thu, 26 June 2014 03:23]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617399 is a reply to message #617217] Sun, 29 June 2014 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Hi,

from chapter 2 of documentation - section Creating an Oracle Base Directory:

Before you create an Oracle base directory, you must identify an appropriate file system with sufficient free disk space.
To identify an appropriate file system:
  1. To determine the free disk space on each mounted file system, use the following command: # df -h
  2. From the display, identify a file system that has the appropriate amount of free space
  3. Note the name of the mount point directory for the file system that you identified.
To create the Oracle base directory and specify the correct owner, group, and permissions for it:
  1. Enter commands similar to the following to create the recommended subdirectories in the mount point directory that you identified and set the appropriate owner, group, and permissions on them:
# mkdir -p /mount_point/app/oracle_sw_owner
# chown -R oracle:oinstall /mount_point/app/oracle_sw_owner
# chmod -R 775 /mount_point/app/oracle_sw_owner

For example:

# mkdir -p /u01/app/oracle
# chown -R oracle:oinstall /u01/app/oracle
# chmod -R 775 /u01/app/oracle

Following the above steps I get:
  1. To determine the free disk space on each mounted file system, use the following command: # df -h

• [oracle@vmoraclelinux ~]$ df -h
      Filesystem       Size       Used       Use%       Mounted on
      /dev/sda3         36G       3.6G        11%       /
      tmpfs            935M       304K         1%       /dev/shm
      /dev/sda1        291M        39M        14%       /boot
      [oracle@vmoraclelinux ~]$

2. From the display, identify a file system that has the appropriate amount of free space
    • from the above point (1.) it look like that the file system that has the appropriate amount of free space is the follow:
      Filesystem       Size       Used       Use%       Mounted on
      /dev/sda3         36G       3.6G        11%       /

3. Note the name of the mount point directory for the file system that you identified.
    • from the point 2. the mount point directory is the root directory (/)
So, now, to create the Oracle base directory and specify the correct owner, group, and permissions for it:
  1. Enter commands similar to the following to create the recommended subdirectories in the mount point directory that you identified and set the appropriate owner, group, and permissions on them:
# mkdir -p /mount_point/app/oracle_sw_owner

For example:

Now, from the point (2. and 3.) file system that has the appropriate amount of free space is /dev/sda3 and the mount point directory is / ... NOT u01 directory.

So, in my case, what's /mount_point/app/oracle_sw_owner?? .... Is it [i]/app/oracle[i]?? (considering that the mount point directory is /)

Thanks.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 June 2014 04:51]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617401 is a reply to message #617399] Sun, 29 June 2014 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Just follow the advice:

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617402 is a reply to message #617401] Sun, 29 June 2014 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
John Watson wrote on Sun, 29 June 2014 05:07
Just follow the advice:

For the documentation the directory u01 is the mount point directory. In my linux system I have not u01 as mount point directory ..... my mount point directory is root (/).

According to me, as far as I understood, Oracle wants that we create a partition on disk, which mount point directory is u01, for install oracle software correctly.

Is it right?

[Updated on: Sun, 29 June 2014 05:24]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617404 is a reply to message #617402] Sun, 29 June 2014 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Look, you are causing yourself enough problems by using Ubuntu or Centos when you should be using OEL. But if you insist, just create those directories, and get on with it.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617407 is a reply to message #617402] Sun, 29 June 2014 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
dancko wrote on Sun, 29 June 2014 05:16

According to me, as far as I understood, Oracle wants that we create a partition on disk, which mount point directory is u01, for install oracle software correctly.

Is it right?

You already have a partition. It is mounted to / (the root directory). In a more sophisticated system you might want to create a partition dedictated to oracle, but you do not need to do that and doing so is an un-necessary complication for your needs. Just create the directories as per the example and as per re-inforced by John.

Since you seem to be doing the specifically to learn how to manage oracle on linux, you really, really, really need to take some time learning some fundamentals of linux. In this case, you need to learn about mount points, directory names, and mounting a directory.

And you need to be doing it on a version of Linux that is specifically supported by Oracle .. not one that you think should be supported by Oracle just because it is similar to one that is.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617409 is a reply to message #617407] Sun, 29 June 2014 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
EdStevens wrote on Sun, 29 June 2014 06:51

You already have a partition. It is mounted to / (the root directory). In a more sophisticated system you might want to create a partition dedictated to oracle, but you do not need to do that and doing so is an un-necessary complication for your needs. Just create the directories as per the example and as per re-inforced by John.

Since you seem to be doing the specifically to learn how to manage oracle on linux, you really, really, really need to take some time learning some fundamentals of linux. In this case, you need to learn about mount points, directory names, and mounting a directory.

And you need to be doing it on a version of Linux that is specifically supported by Oracle .. not one that you think should be supported by Oracle just because it is similar to one that is.

Okay okay. I agree with you.

Just for clarity: I'm trying to install Oracle DB on linux system, in particular, finally, I chose to do that on CentOS 6.5 distro, which it look like to be the closest to RedHat distro. My goal is to learn how to manage oracle on linux.

In the meanwhile I have already learned some fundamentals on linux and for this reason it come back to me the doubt if it were necessary to create a dedicate partition (filesystem) for oracle software which mount point directory were u01 directory.

In any case, I also think that, for my goal, I do not need to do that... doing so is an un-necessary complication for my needs.

So, I just create the directories as per the example in the documentation.

However, thanks for your support!! Cool Cool

[Updated on: Sun, 29 June 2014 08:54]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617411 is a reply to message #617409] Sun, 29 June 2014 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Not all Oracle versions are supported on all *NIX versions.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617564 is a reply to message #617411] Tue, 01 July 2014 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Hi,

When installing all oracle software in only one oracle user, the directory oraInventory is to be created out of Oracle Base directory and the Owner is Oracle user.

But... who is to be the owner of directory oraInventory in case when installing separate oracle software in separate system user?

thanks.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 July 2014 13:28]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617566 is a reply to message #617564] Tue, 01 July 2014 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
post URL to Oracle documentation which directs you to use multiple OS user to install Oracle software.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617568 is a reply to message #617566] Tue, 01 July 2014 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
In section 2.11.1.1 "Understanding Restrictions for Oracle Installations with Job Role Separation" (this is the link: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e47689/pre_install.htm#LADBI1163), although it recommends that you create one software owner to own each Oracle software installation, at a certain point tells about:

To create separate Oracle software owners, to create separate users, and separate operating system privileges groups for different Oracle software installations, each of these users must have the Oracle central inventory group (oraInventory group) as their primary group. Members of this group have write privileges to the Oracle central inventory (oraInventory) directory, and and are also granted permissions for various Oracle Restart resources and directories in the Oracle Restart home to which DBAs need write access, and other necessary privileges. In Oracle documentation, this group is represented as oinstall in code examples. See "Creating the Oracle Inventory Group".

[Updated on: Tue, 01 July 2014 15:06]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617571 is a reply to message #617568] Tue, 01 July 2014 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Why do you want to add this complication to Oracle software installation which you already are challenged to complete?

What problem is solved by having Oracle software owned by multiple OS users?
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617572 is a reply to message #617571] Tue, 01 July 2014 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
I do not want add any complication to my Oracle software installation. I'm continuing my software installation with only one user, the Oracle user.

It has been simply a question for curiosity.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 July 2014 15:43]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617681 is a reply to message #617572] Wed, 02 July 2014 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Hi,

Finally.... i have installed oracle db on linux centos 6.5.

The installation was successful.

The follow image shows the completed installation.

http://s22.postimg.org/i8ca7crzl/Screenshot_1.png

The only problem that I encountered regard to the installation of some package. In particular, Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) said me that those packages are missing... but, in reality those package were installed with the latest version.

http://s30.postimg.org/yvlyflsdd/Screenshot.png

[Updated on: Wed, 02 July 2014 12:33]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617684 is a reply to message #617681] Wed, 02 July 2014 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Well done, man. If you feel that any advice from here was helpful, you could say "thank you" by writing up the routine as a blog article. And be famous Smile
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617690 is a reply to message #617684] Wed, 02 July 2014 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
Yes, you have been very very helpful.

Thanks you at all!

P.S.: With the packages problem Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) has not recognized that on the system was installed the latest version of the same packages. Simply by checking "Ignore All" the installation was completed successfully.

How to start and stop manually the oracle db services? E.g. OracleServiceSYSDBA and all other?

[Updated on: Wed, 02 July 2014 12:47]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617697 is a reply to message #617690] Wed, 02 July 2014 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> Simply by checking "Ignore All" the installation was completed successfully.
This time & next time it may fail.
Personally I make soft links between the package it wants & the newer installed package on the system.
Then I can be sure OUI will have & find everything it needs.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617698 is a reply to message #617697] Wed, 02 July 2014 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
This is difficult. There are many cases where the packages really are not needed. All they are is a list in one of those prereq.xml files. I suspect that some guy at Redwood Shores does an install, it works, so he documents what he has as "required". But even though you and I might know that a package is not required, you can't ignore it on a client site. Because if you rise a TAR later on and get an awkward support analyst, he may just say "come back when you meet the prereqs" and put the 'phone down. That's what I always said.

I had a problem a while back with a RAC install on AIX that was demanding a fileset we couldn't find anywhere. Turned out that it was part of HACMP, which we weren't using and therefore didn't need. But until you get the OK from Oracle Support, you can't proceed.
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617701 is a reply to message #617698] Wed, 02 July 2014 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dancko
how to make soft links between the package OUI wants & the newer installed package on the system (That is, the latest version of the same package)??

[Updated on: Wed, 02 July 2014 14:37]

Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617703 is a reply to message #617701] Wed, 02 July 2014 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
unwilling or incapable to use GOOGLE?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=unix+softlink
Re: Oracle User when installing Oracle DB Server on Ubuntu [message #617909 is a reply to message #617703] Fri, 04 July 2014 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dancko
Is it required (mandatory) to make soft link between the package OUI wants and the newer (latest version) installed package on the system?

Or could the database work fine also as it is?
Previous Topic: oracle 10g r2 installation error at 65% on OEL 6.4
Next Topic: Error during Oracle installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:24:42 CDT 2024