Home » Developer & Programmer » Data Integration » File generated from OWB is not opening correctly in NOTEPAD
File generated from OWB is not opening correctly in NOTEPAD [message #600394] Wed, 06 November 2013 00:29 Go to next message
painithin2000
Hi,

I have the file generated from OWB and is opening correctly with CR and \N but when opening in NOTEPAD this is not working as expected.
Any solution for this problem?

Re: File generated from OWB is not opening correctly in NOTEPAD [message #600400 is a reply to message #600394] Wed, 06 November 2013 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I don't use OWB, so excuse my ignorance. What does it mean that the file is opened correctly with CR and \N? What are "CR" and "\N"?

Also, what happens when you open it with Notepad? How does the file look like in Notepad? Any chance to attach a screenshot so that we could see it? If it is not obvious, describe what's wrong with it.

I'm just blindly guessing: are you bothered by the line terminator (EOL)? MS Windows Notepad has limited capabilities, but - if you have it (or can download and install) some other editor, such as Notepad++, then you'd see that it contains, under the Edit menu, "EOL Conversion" submenu which allows you to switch between Windows, Unix and Mac format. Would something like that do any good in solving your problem?

If so, you might need to investigate whether OWB offers different settings while creating files and choose some other option, different from the one you use now. For example, clear the "Unix style save" checkbox (this is an option TOAD offers; as I said, I don't use OWB) because of the difference between Carriage Return & Line Feed and their combination.
Re: File generated from OWB is not opening correctly in NOTEPAD [message #600401 is a reply to message #600400] Wed, 06 November 2013 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
painithin2000
OWB is installed in UNIX environment and the file when opening in NOTEPAD gets a BOX character at end of each line and even the formatting like Carriage return and next line character does not work.
This works fine with OWB is installed in Windows environment/server.
Re: File generated from OWB is not opening correctly in NOTEPAD [message #600490 is a reply to message #600401] Thu, 07 November 2013 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
painithin2000
All-- This is resolved as i used the command UNIX2DOS within Shell script after the file creation by OWB.

SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...]
Options
The following options are supported:
-ascii Adds carriage returns and converts end of file characters in SunOS format text files to conform to DOS requirements.
-iso This is the default. Converts ISO standard characters to the corresponding character in the DOS extended character set.
-7 Converts 8 bit SunOS characters to 7 bit DOS characters.
On non-i386 systems, unix2dos will attempt to obtain the keyboard type to determine which code page to use. Otherwise, the default is US. The user may override the code page with one of the following options:
-437 Use US code page
-850 Use multilingual code page
-860 Use Portuguese code page
-863 Use French Canadian code page
-865 Use Danish code page

Re: File generated from OWB is not opening correctly in NOTEPAD [message #600491 is a reply to message #600490] Thu, 07 November 2013 05:43 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you for letting us know!
Previous Topic: What is RESULT_002 result in a Process Flow?
Next Topic: OWB to generate excel with different worksheets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:05:08 CDT 2024