Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Tiff Images and Oracle (Oracle 10, 11 and 12)
Tiff Images and Oracle [message #600077] Thu, 31 October 2013 11:37 Go to next message
Diego Pafumi
Hello Friends.

We are re-designing our App and we have a critical question, what's the best way (in terms of performance) of using TIFF images (about 20K size) with Oracle.
Currently we have a Windows shared file server and we create the tiff images there under a huge directory structure (like /images/ddddmmyy/aa/bb/001, then /images/ddddmmyy/aa/bb/002, etc, etc). Our database is usually in LINUX version 10, 11 or 12.
We create about 200,000 images per day, keep them for 60 days and then remove that structure.
Our Web app (developed with .NET) reads those images just to display them on a Web Session (IE).

As you can see, what we are doing now works fine. But network sometimes is an issue and also it's hard to keep synchronization with our DR server, backups, etc.

Are we taking the correct approach? It would be better to have the images in CLOB or BLOBS for better performance? If so, can you provide me some suggestions on the best way to implement this?
As I mentioned, performance is the KEY FACTOR and the most important item to consider in this design.

Thanks,
Diego
Re: Tiff Images and Oracle [message #600097 is a reply to message #600077] Thu, 31 October 2013 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm not sure I understood what it has to do with Oracle.
- there are 12.000.000 (12 million!!!) images you keep in file system
- there's the .NET application that displays them

What else does the application do? Especially with Oracle?
Re: Tiff Images and Oracle [message #600103 is a reply to message #600077] Thu, 31 October 2013 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Diego Pafumi wrote on Thu, 31 October 2013 22:07
what's the best way (in terms of performance) of using TIFF images (about 20K size) with Oracle.

You could use BLOB to store TIFF in Oracle DB.
Re: Tiff Images and Oracle [message #600119 is a reply to message #600103] Fri, 01 November 2013 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As far as I understood, Diego is perfectly aware of the BLOB option. Are you (Lalit) saying that the application would run better/faster if images are fetched from Oracle (BLOB, eh?) than file system? We are talking about ~250 GB. Not that Oracle can't store that much data, I just wonder whether it makes sense in terms of performance. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. On the contrary, I still have the same question: what Oracle has to do with the whole idea?
Re: Tiff Images and Oracle [message #600135 is a reply to message #600119] Fri, 01 November 2013 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 01 November 2013 11:43
Are you (Lalit) saying that the application would run better/faster if images are fetched from Oracle (BLOB, eh?) than file system?

No, absolutely not. I missed the point that OP is actually comparing the performance of retreving the tiff images. A file system is much better. Oracle would just add more pain and DB layer will be considered the culprit later stage. And you are correct, not that Oracle can't store it, however cannot improve performance better than web application directly interacting with file storage system.
Re: Tiff Images and Oracle [message #600163 is a reply to message #600135] Fri, 01 November 2013 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diego Pafumi
Hello Littlefoot ,
We also use Oracle to save the data, customers, clients, etc. Of course we need the database. Each image has information that is also saved inside the Database.
Re: Tiff Images and Oracle [message #600164 is a reply to message #600119] Fri, 01 November 2013 11:22 Go to previous message
gazzag
Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 01 November 2013 06:13
I just wonder whether it makes sense in terms of performance. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer.

I believe that that is the OP's question. And it is related to Oracle in as much as the rest of the data is maintained within the database. Personally, I'm a fan of keeping everything in one place i.e. the database. If the file system gets out of sync with the database entries, you have a nightmare on your hands. i.e. a load of content (the TIFFs) with no way of referencing it. A 20K TIFF file is nothing but, like you say, it's the sheer volume that is the problem.

I suspect that the only answer for the OP is to test it.
Previous Topic: DB performance problem or "bad" SQL query
Next Topic: Understanding ASH
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:28:52 CDT 2024