Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » rman deleting backup directory
rman deleting backup directory [message #583846] Sun, 05 May 2013 17:16 Go to next message
sbk785
hi

i have a database (test1 10gr2 ) on rhel 5.5 and am using ASM (raw devices). for this database i have arch location as log_archive_dest_1='location=+DG_ARC/arch'. my backup location is +DG_bak/test1. now when i run rman backup (nocatalog mode).. backup database plus archivelog delete input; it completes successfully but deletes the arch directory from +DG_ARC diskgroup and when i switch logfile it hangs ... alert log says unable to find archive destination. this thing is drving me nuts not sure why arch directory is being deleted. but when i get into asmcmd and manually create the arch directory logswitch takes place now. can anyone help me fix this ...

thank you
Re: rman deleting backup directory [message #583853 is a reply to message #583846] Mon, 06 May 2013 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
it completes successfully but deletes the arch directory from +DG_ARC diskgroup

It is expected as you specify "archivelog delete input".

Quote:
alert log says unable to find archive destination. this thing is drving me nuts not sure why arch directory is being deleted.

This is expected, the directory is automatically dropped when it is empty if it has been automatically created.

Quote:
and when i switch logfile it hangs ... but when i get into asmcmd and manually create the arch directory logswitch takes place now

Seems a bug.

You have to post versions for ASM and database (with 4 decimals, for instance 10.2.0.4).
Post the content of /var/opt/oracle/oratab or /etc/oratab which one is relevant to your OS.

Regards
Michel
Re: rman deleting backup directory [message #583906 is a reply to message #583853] Mon, 06 May 2013 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbk785
thanks Michel for your reply...

Quote:
Quote:

alert log says unable to find archive destination. this thing is drving me nuts not sure why arch directory is being deleted.

This is expected, the directory is automatically dropped when it is empty if it has been automatically created.

I have passed '+DG_ARC/arch' while creating the test1 database using dbca. Can you please suggest how to avoid automatic creation of arch directory if thats the problem ..

here is the oratab & db version :

Oratab:
test1:/opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1:N

ASM & Database version: 10.2.0.1

[Updated on: Mon, 06 May 2013 23:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: rman deleting backup directory [message #583914 is a reply to message #583906] Tue, 07 May 2013 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
After thinking, I think the problem is the opposite: you specified a directory.

So my advices are:
- upgrade to 10.2.0.4, 10.2.0.5 or 11.2; 10.2.0.1 was the first ASM version and so bugs are there
- have a distinct Oracle home (and binaries) for rdbms and asm (patches are the same ones)
- not specify the directory, just the diskgroup (+DG_ARC), and let Oracle manages the directories and files; the directory will then be +DG_ARC/<DBNAME>/ARCHIVELOG; this works well.

Regards
Michel
Re: rman deleting backup directory [message #584480 is a reply to message #583914] Tue, 14 May 2013 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbk785
hi michel,

i apologise for the late response .. was out of town .. but meanwhile as you had pointed out i created the arch directory manually .. re-ran the backup through rman and found it to not delete the archive log directory. my rman command didnt have "delete input". I deleted the old archives with delete archivelog command and it works as expected. no issues here.

I shall try the other techniques which you had mentioned as well.

thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.. Smile
Re: rman deleting backup directory [message #584482 is a reply to message #584480] Tue, 14 May 2013 12:58 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Restore & Recover controlfile after its deletion from a Backup Set
Next Topic: Obsolete backup Not getting delete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:00:54 CDT 2024