Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Networking issue over WAN (oracle 9i)
Networking issue over WAN [message #573726] Wed, 02 January 2013 16:32 Go to next message
sstoroe
I am trying to connect to a server from a client on another network. I am able to connect just fine if I am on that server, but when I try to connect from a client in my office to the amazon server, I get a timeout message as follows.

ora-12535: TNS:operation timed out.

here is my entry in my local tnsnames.ora file. I believe that the network is wide open between my two computers. o firewalls on the computers and the settings on my cisco allow this to go through. I see the client connect in log files on the server, but it always gets a timeout after 20 seconds.

I have tried to add these parameters to the sqlnet.ora file. I also do not have a problem with tnsping?

SQLNET.SEND_TIMEOUT= 120

SQLNET.RECV_TIMEOUT= 120

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 120

SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT = 120

RDCTEST2.rdcamazon.com =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxx.xx.xxx.xxx)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = RDCTEST2)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
)
)

How would I go about debugging this? I replaced the ip with x's since this is a public post.

client = windows xp
server = windows 2003 server
I am able to connect to a local database server from my client without a problem.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 January 2013 16:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Networking issue over WAN [message #573727 is a reply to message #573726] Wed, 02 January 2013 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Contrary to what you claim, the most common cause for ora-12535: TNS:operation timed out. is Firewall/router issue.
The DB must be able to successfully initiate a connection back to the client on a "random high port".
the listener log file shows the Port# ever increasing on the connection requests being logged.
You need to packet sniff using Ethereal, WireShark, etc in order to gain visibility what really occurs on the network.
Re: Networking issue over WAN [message #573729 is a reply to message #573727] Wed, 02 January 2013 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sstoroe
How would you prove this to a network admin that says it is wide open?

One thing of interest is that the message is the same if the ip address is wrong as well? For example, I went into my tnsnames file on the client and changed the ip address up one number and I now get the same error in the same amount of time.

This has led my network admin to think it is a configuration issue.

Re: Networking issue over WAN [message #573730 is a reply to message #573729] Wed, 02 January 2013 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>How would you prove this to a network admin that says it is wide open?
telnet client_ip# 54321

do as below
ping <own_ip#>
ping <own_hostname>
ping <other_ip#>
ping <other_hostname>

then do the same from the other system
what is result from all 8 ping commands
Re: Networking issue over WAN [message #573733 is a reply to message #573730] Wed, 02 January 2013 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sstoroe
I tried the telnet and I can telnet to the ip just fine. I get a blank screen, but it connects to port 1521.

I can ping the server from the client using the public ip
I can ping the client from the client using ip and hostname
i can ping the server from the client using the host name as I have it in my host file.

from the server, I can ping using the host name, but not the internal ip or the public ip
I cannot ping the client from the server, but I can ping the external ip that our firewall is using.

Does that help?
Re: Networking issue over WAN [message #573734 is a reply to message #573733] Wed, 02 January 2013 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I tried the telnet and I can telnet to the ip just fine. I get a blank screen, but it connects to port 1521.
We already knew & acknowledged that port 1521 is open.
Oracle DB server must be able to initiate a new connection to the client on "random high port"; like 54321 I posted!

>I cannot ping the client from the server
Above is symptomatic of the mis-configuration problem
Re: Networking issue over WAN [message #573735 is a reply to message #573734] Wed, 02 January 2013 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sstoroe
Are you saying that I need to give my client a public ip in order to go across the internet. I may be misunderstanding you. How else would I be able to ping the client from the server. I can probably have him rig this up in the firewall. but i thought that the messages would just get passed back to the client.

Thanks

[Updated on: Wed, 02 January 2013 19:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Networking issue over WAN [message #573736 is a reply to message #573735] Wed, 02 January 2013 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Are you saying that I need to give my client a public ip in order to go across the internet.
That is 1 solution, but another solution would be to use Network Address Translation (NAT).
Most every DB Server use a private IP# & work well.
Consider hiring a Network Consultant who know what is needed to make SQL*Net work across the Internet.
the problem & fix are both external to Oracle.
Oracle is the victim; not the culprit.
Re: Networking issue over WAN [message #573848 is a reply to message #573736] Thu, 03 January 2013 09:55 Go to previous message
sstoroe
Thanks. I have a network admin, so I will try to get this worked out with him. We have been struggling with this for a few days and I was hoping for some better insight. I think that you may have given me enough information for him to correct this.

Thanks again. I will let you know how this works out.

Shawn
Previous Topic: NL-00280: error creating log stream
Next Topic: listener
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:09:38 CDT 2024