Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Oracle documentation on details of AWR report
Oracle documentation on details of AWR report [message #556504] Mon, 04 June 2012 18:49 Go to next message
bobbydurrettdba
A coworker of mine asked if there was any documentation from Oracle that listed all of the parts of the AWR report and what each meant. I was taken back because I don't think there is. There are third party books that talk about AWR reports and their predecessor Statspack reports. Oracle has some notes on their support site about reading an AWR or Statspack report. All I found in the official documentation was some basic information about how to run an AWR report and an overview of what it was. It would be nice to have some sort of documentation that lists out each section and explains the units and purpose.

Anyway, if there is some document that I'm missing on this I would appreciate your help.

- Bobby
Re: Oracle documentation on details of AWR report [message #556505 is a reply to message #556504] Mon, 04 June 2012 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/application-development/s14703-builddeploytroubleshoot-515133.pdf
Re: Oracle documentation on details of AWR report [message #556526 is a reply to message #556504] Tue, 05 June 2012 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I wouldn't have thought that an explanation of the various sections of an AWR report was necessary, because it doesn't give you any information that isn't available elsewhere. All it does is pull things together, into one report. For instance, all the wait event stuff is just queries (in effect) against v$system_wait_class and v$system_event. The SQL sections are retrieved from v$sql. The time model statistics are v$sys_time_model. And so on. Of course the information is from AWR snapshots rather than the real-time views, but conceptually it is the same thing. So it doesn't tell you anything you didn't know already. Same as Statspack.
Re: Oracle documentation on details of AWR report [message #556635 is a reply to message #556526] Tue, 05 June 2012 14:47 Go to previous message
bobbydurrettdba
Thanks for the input. I guess the answer is that our team needs to understand the most important v$ views and their dba_hist counterparts. Still, it would be nice to have a document that says which dba_hist/v$ views were the source for each section of the awr report. As it is you just have to guess based on the content of the report.

I liked the PDF BlackSwan posted. I have recently been dealing with issues on our customer facing web server that resemble the java based issues and resulting AWR report output described there. Unfortunately I haven't made much headway in getting my recommendations put in. For example, I recommended reducing the frequency of commit caused by autocommit but it hasn't happened. Anyway, I appreciate the document. I think that documents like that which show typical cases in AWR probably are the best way to learn how to use an AWR report.

Still it would be nice to have some sort of reference that relates AWR Report -> DBA_HIST view for each section.

Thanks again.

- Bobby
Previous Topic: Optimize my Query
Next Topic: Optimizing sql
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:19:55 CDT 2024