Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » rac service not auto-starting on preferred node (oracle 11.2.0.2 rhel 5.5)
rac service not auto-starting on preferred node [message #519959] Wed, 17 August 2011 15:15 Go to next message
knight
i have created service using srvctl for 11.2.0.2.0 (2 node rac) database.the service is configured as preferred on node1 and available on node2.

in 11gr2 the database service should start automatically once the database is restarted,the service starts accordingly and is good feature for handling database restarts.
however the service is sometimes started on the 'available' node.

Quote:
When you use automatic services in an administrator-managed database, during planned database startup, services may start on the first instances to start rather than their PREFERRED instances.

can we force the service to be started on the preferred node?
or the only solution is to have management policy manual and then start service manually/script once database is up.
Re: rac service not auto-starting on preferred node [message #520148 is a reply to message #519959] Thu, 18 August 2011 15:57 Go to previous message
knight
guyz,

i changed the management policy to manual and configured script for service startup.

the service is started on preferred instance on database restart.
however, later if i shutdown the preferred node, the service doest not failover to available instance.

srvctl stop instance-->service does not fail over
shut abort instance-->service does fail over

it turns out that this is expected behaviour in 11.2
we have to srvctl stop instance with '-f' option for service to failover to available instance.

do let me know if there is any option for
-ensuring startup of service on preferred node on database restart with policy as automatic

Quote:
can we force the service to be started on the preferred node?
Previous Topic: Can't enter the "real" instance without tns name
Next Topic: 10g to 11gR2 upgrade
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:55:13 CDT 2024