Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » DB Link creation - No TNSNAMES.ora. Using LDAP (10.2.0.4)
DB Link creation - No TNSNAMES.ora. Using LDAP [message #519032] Tue, 09 August 2011 01:14 Go to next message
setsun
Hi Guys,

I need some help in creating DB Links.

1. While I read the documentation for DB link creation, I found that TNSNAMES.ora entry of the target DB is essential to create the DB link ( in USING clause of the DB link syntax

Incidentally, my organization uses LDAP to resolve/identify the database. In this situation, how can i create the DB linkin

2. I need to create DB link object on schema A to connect to schema B. Both schema A and B are on the same instance.

Something like

create database link link_from_a_2_b
connect to b identified by bpass
using <i dont know what should be given here as said in #1 >

The question I have is : Can a DB link of this sort be created?

I understand that referencing objects in B from A this way is not a ideal method since we can grant permissions to A to access objects in B. However, there is a possiblity that B might be moved to a new instance in future. So if I create a DB link, movement of B across different instance would be much quicker.

Thanks in advance for your assistance in this regard.

Cheers
Arun
Re: DB Link creation - No TNSNAMES.ora. Using LDAP [message #519040 is a reply to message #519032] Tue, 09 August 2011 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
First, are you able to connect to the remote database using SQL*Plus?
If yes, how do you do it? Using OVD and entreprise user?

Regards
Michel
Re: DB Link creation - No TNSNAMES.ora. Using LDAP [message #519322 is a reply to message #519032] Thu, 11 August 2011 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s197oo302

There's two way to connect by DBlink.
If you already insert remote DB name to tnsnames.ora, you can use alias.
like this
CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK MFS01_LINK
 CONNECT TO MFS
 IDENTIFIED BY <PWD>
 USING 'SPAM1';

but if you don't have tnsnames.ora alias in your local clients or connecting party, you must insert full description in dblink creation scripts
This will be like
CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK ORAMFS_56
 CONNECT TO ORAMFS
 IDENTIFIED BY <PWD>
 USING '(DESCRIPTION=
    (ADDRESS=
      (PROTOCOL=TCP)
      (HOST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx)
      (PORT=1521)
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA=
      (SERVICE_NAME=MMS)))';

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2011 01:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DB Link creation - No TNSNAMES.ora. Using LDAP [message #519323 is a reply to message #519322] Thu, 11 August 2011 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
There are far more than 2 ways to connect with a database link (see Database SQL Reference).
How does this answer the problem to connect using LDAP credentials?

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2011 01:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DB Link creation - No TNSNAMES.ora. Using LDAP [message #519357 is a reply to message #519032] Thu, 11 August 2011 05:19 Go to previous message
dkdms2124

May be you can get some help from the link mentioned below:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/CDS/ag/8.0/Configuring_Directory_Databases-Creating_and_Maintaining_Database_Links.html

Regards
Deepak
Previous Topic: connectivity of sql server into oracle through heterogenius services
Next Topic: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:58:33 CDT 2024