Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Switch between application server and exadata (oracle 11.2.0.2.0)
Switch between application server and exadata [message #505288] Sun, 01 May 2011 21:02 Go to next message
s197oo302

I configure exadata + 2 switch between application server and and exadata.

and we have problem to connect to switch and load balancing between ethernet switch to exadata.

We might end up that is 'How about remove ethernet switch and directly connect to exadata?'

I don't know which idea comes up with ethernet gigabit switch between application server and exadata, exadata might be gigabit.

but from application server to ethernet switch is still 100M network, it is only fast in that load, other load is still 100m , it might useless.

and about load balancing, exadata is RAC cluster node, exadata is doing load balancing, why we want another load balancing feature of ethernet switch?

Is it good idea to have dual switch between application server and exadata? exadata iti is what might be pro and con of this setting?

exadata is handled by oracle support team, but dual switch is only cared by application operation team, so if something wrong with switch, nobody except operation team can manage

and support switch. I needs your opinion.
Re: Switch between application server and exadata [message #505289 is a reply to message #505288] Mon, 02 May 2011 00:46 Go to previous message
s197oo302

My assumption is if database service load balancing is done on RAC side, network traffic load balancing might have same effect and we don't need network traffic load balancing.
If nework traffic load balancing is also done on ethernet switch between application server and exadata, it is duplicated job that we don't need, because exadata is also done that job by RAC.

I heard L4 switch only can do network traffic load balancing by connection base, that mean if one process connection is connected by exadata, it is connected until process was shut down.
There's other way of network load balancing in L4 switch that is by each DML, or DDL command, it load balance to different L4 switch that is one of dual ethernet switch side.
That is not good to our system, because if we have 20,000 insert command, it will connect to database 20,000 times and fetch the command every time if is executed and change to other ethernet switch and might other exadata node. so we don't like this setting and conclude L4 switch is useless if we have RAC and we are buying expensive exadata enterprise license from oracle.

If we don't have RAC and standard edition of Oracle, ethernet switch might help to load balancing and scattered network traffic to dual switch.
I also receive comments from oracle people, they don't care L4 switch because that is not there machine and not included in exadata, they will not care about switch.
If something wrong happen, if we don't have switch, oracle will do everything because all the product is sold by them.
But if we have swich between exadata and application server, they only care exadata without switch, so I can be complicated to ourside.
So we are planning to remove dual switch between application server and exadata. How's your idea?
Previous Topic: Listener hangs after starting up
Next Topic: TNS-01106
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:43:29 CDT 2024