Home » Other » General » Oracle Standard Edition and CPU Socket (11g on Linux Distro)
Oracle Standard Edition and CPU Socket [message #499368] Mon, 14 March 2011 12:17 Go to next message
preet_kumar
The Oracle website says the Standard Edition cost $17000 per CPU which is per socket and if i have a 4 socket Server then what would be the best possible way to allocate one CPU Socket to Oracle so it remains within the licensing terms.
There is containers with Solaris and VMWare but i would like to know if there any other option available from Oracle or from any Linux Distro.
Re: Oracle Standard Edition and CPU Socket [message #499370 is a reply to message #499368] Mon, 14 March 2011 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
ask you local Oracle Sales Representative.

NOTHING posted here carries any weight WRT Oracle licensing
Re: Oracle Standard Edition and CPU Socket [message #499374 is a reply to message #499368] Mon, 14 March 2011 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
preet_kumar
My question is not related to licensing.
I only wanted to know if there is an option or feature with Oracle or Oracle Linux or any other distro of Linux which allows to dedicate Oracle to one CPU.
I hope there are many here who came across with installing SE on multi socket Servers and could give some advice.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2011 12:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle Standard Edition and CPU Socket [message #499376 is a reply to message #499374] Mon, 14 March 2011 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>My question is not related to licensing.
>>what would be the best possible way to allocate one CPU Socket to Oracle so it remains within the licensing terms.
certainly confused me!

Your question still has NOTHING to do with Oracle RDBMS per se.
Your question is really about "isolating" any single application to specific processor;
which has everything to do with hardware & OS.
Re: Oracle Standard Edition and CPU Socket [message #499483 is a reply to message #499376] Tue, 15 March 2011 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
preet kumar
dedicate Oracle to one CPU

Well, I'm quite sure that you aren't really interested in this product, but Oracle Database XE CPU Limitations says that it can use only one CPU. Though, one of its major advantages is that 10g XE database is free so ... if what you do fits into limitations mentioned in the same document, maybe that would also be an option.
Re: Oracle Standard Edition and CPU Socket [message #499699 is a reply to message #499368] Tue, 15 March 2011 14:46 Go to previous message
preet_kumar
Thanks for your response Littlefoot but unfortunately Oracle XE does not support more than 4GB data.
As BlackSwan said isolating the application to specific processor has to do everything with hardware and OS but if that was the case then why Oracle added this feature with Oracle XE.If i have to pay $17000 single socket for a Standard edition then i would also expect something for the price and i don't want to spend anything extra on hardware or OS for isolation to use this on a Server with more sockets.
Previous Topic: Oracle character set?
Next Topic: where to download 9.2.0.8 Oracle client
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:01:16 CDT 2024