Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Clone using OEM Db Control (Oracle RDBMS EE 10.2.0.3, Solaris 10)
Clone using OEM Db Control [message #498271] Wed, 09 March 2011 07:34 Go to next message
barnacle47
My management is asking me to find the best way to migrate our 3.3 TB data warehouse to a new server. I currently use RMAN to back up the database. This is done offline on Sundays, and it takes about 9 hours, compressed backups to disk. Archived log backups are done online, not in conjuction with the db backup.

I have read a number of documents detailing step to use OEM Db Control (aka dbconsole) to clone the database to the new server.

I have a few questions:

1. I need to clone the Oracle SW first, as our current install has patches, so it should take less time. Has anyone out here done that successfully, and how?
2. Do you think just restoring from the last RMAN backup and doing recovery would be faster than cloning?
3. On the new server, I have assumed that the root user (not me) would have to pre-create the OFA structure, e.g.; we have some mount points like /f01/oracle/DBNAME or /g01/oracle/DBNAME. I cannot imagine that the Db control Gui or Rman could create that structure on the target server. Is that correct?
4. There seems to be an attitude in my shop that the storage array mount points and OFA would not have to be identical on the target server. Any opinions?

Any advice you can provide will be appreciated. Back in 1995, I successfully manually cloned a database to a new server in an HP environment, but it was only about 70G!! This is a whole new ballgame.
Re: Clone using OEM Db Control [message #498278 is a reply to message #498271] Wed, 09 March 2011 08:06 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I have not used "dbconsole" but it just easily possible with RMAN.

1). In new server, install Oracle ,apply patches and bring to same level as in old server.
2). Depends on how you define "cloning". In RMAN terms, there is a little operational difference. Essentially either you "clone" the database or "restore" the database, you have to rely on some sought of backups.
3). Directory structure does have to be same. You can use RMAN to backup and restore/recover to the new server with a different directory structure.
4). The mount points does not have to be same.

This section of RMAN documentation exactly outlines what needs to be done.
You can either just share the backups throughs NFS
or
Copy the backupsets to new server.
Either way, the rman backupsets should be available from new server.
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmrecov.htm#i1007814
Previous Topic: RMAN Backup on DataGaurd Database
Next Topic: Archived Log in only one folder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:14:23 CDT 2024