Home » Developer & Programmer » Precompilers, OCI & OCCI » PRO*C compiler version versus database version (PRO*C, 9.2.0.8, HP Unix)
PRO*C compiler version versus database version [message #479205] Fri, 15 October 2010 04:44 Go to next message
carsten.jorgensen
Hi Guys,

We are planning to upgrade a database from 9.2.0.8.0 to 10.2.0.4.0.

We have a lot a PRO*C programs pre compiled using 9.2.0.8.0 (and most likely even 9.2.0.7.0) compiler.

The most ideal scenerio would be, if we could upgrade the database without having to re-compile all the programs.
We have tested this approach against some of our programs. Most of them executed fine - but in 2 cases we are getting "ORA-01001 invalid cursor".

I suspect, that the case is that Pre compiler version 9 is not supported against 10g databases - but I am not sure.

Would it be a better option to upgrade Pre compiler/client as the first step and the db as the second step (and would that be supported) ?

We definitely don't want to upgrade both Pre compiler/Client and the Database in one goal - that would be too risky.

Does anyone have any recommendations here ?

Best regards
Carsten
Re: PRO*C compiler version versus database version [message #479251 is a reply to message #479205] Fri, 15 October 2010 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
We definitely don't want to upgrade both Pre compiler/Client and the Database in one goal - that would be too risky.

Not so risky than the opposite as you saw it.
What is the problem to have the development compiler and database at the same level?

Regards
Michel
Re: PRO*C compiler version versus database version [message #479255 is a reply to message #479251] Fri, 15 October 2010 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carsten.jorgensen
In case everything should be on the same level, we would have to recompile and test all programs. And deploy new versions of all programs to production environment during db upgrade.
It would be easier to manage, if we could do the recompilations gradually (either before or after db upgrade).

I would therefore like to know the options that are supported.
Re: PRO*C compiler version versus database version [message #479256 is a reply to message #479255] Fri, 15 October 2010 10:28 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I don't what is supported (ask Oracle for this) but if I was your client I would be not safe (and surely not accept) something that was not develop following the Oracle recommendations (which is to recompile the program for the binary you use).

If you don't want to recompile, then execute your Pro*C application along with an Oracle 9.2 home, there would be no problem to connect a 10g database with it.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: connect from incide c program
Next Topic: the C struct { } LogFile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:48:41 CDT 2024