Home » Other » Community Hangout » Anna Mae Bullock
Anna Mae Bullock [message #466243] Sun, 18 July 2010 09:03 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well now, who might she be? I never knew till today morning, googling around. To save your time (for those who don't know), it is Tina Turner.

I was, actually, looking for Private Dancer lyrics, wanting to check that what I heard is actually meant to be said. One of the verses goes (depending on lyrics site I visited):

- Dutchmarks or dollars
- Deutschmarks or dollars
- Deutch marks or dollars
- Deutsch marks or dollars

I didn't manage to find Tina Turner's official website which would probably have all her lyrics (there is a site that claims to be the official one, but it just sells one of her records). True - I didn't spend ages to locate one (if it exists).

What I hear is "Dutch" (marks). If I'm not wrong, it regards the Netherlands. However, back in 1984 their currency was gulden and I can't recall that they ever used marks.

On the other hand, German currency was "Deutsch mark"; beloved in my country for ages (as many, many people left Croatia (as well as other republics of former Yugoslavia) during 60s and 70s) and went there, working as gasterbeiters - which was meant to be just temporarily, but for many of them it became permanently).

The above means:
a) Tina mispronounced what was written, or
b) song writer wrote it incorrectly

As the song was written by Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits; thinking about it, well, it makes sense. The song really has some Knopfler scent) who is Scottish, I'd put my bet on a) - Tina, living in the USA, didn't bother about that tiny difference between "dutch" and "deutsch". Besides, most people have probably heard of the Flying Dutchman. Who or what the heck would that "deutsch" be? Furthermore, people who don't speak German might have serious problems trying to correctly pronounce those words (not to mention Zusammensetzungen).

What's my point? There's none - I just heard the song the other day and thought that it is still a great one, even after almost 30 years.
Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466280 is a reply to message #466243] Sun, 18 July 2010 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
People here in America have tended to botch the pronunciation of many things. Many people who immigrated here from Germany originally settled in Pennsylvania. In German, Germany is Deutschland and German is Deutsch. So, the German immigrants who settled in Pennsylvania were the Pennsylvania Deutsch. Most existing Americans mispronounced this as the Pennsylvania Dutch and so many people today are still under the misimpression that they were Dutch, not German.

I like Tina Tuner's singing and she looks great for her age. I wonder how many singers, actors, and actresses have stage names and how many use their birth name. I wonder if the percentage who have stage names is higher for women or men and if changing their name really made a difference in their career.

Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466290 is a reply to message #466280] Sun, 18 July 2010 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I've always thought her best work was with Ike. It's a pity he behaved so badly that they had to split (or at least, that is the story we get from her side.)
Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466292 is a reply to message #466290] Sun, 18 July 2010 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Pennsylvania, eh? That's yet another fact I didn't know. Thank you!

What is Ike's side of story? Do you know it, perhaps, John?

As of stage and birth names: names of people whose golden age was some 50 years ago (such as Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Angie Dickinson, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Ketty Lester etc.) sound as if they were real. Bummer - I googled, and it appears that none of those is their birth name (right - some of them kept first name, some kept surname, but names we all know them about are mostly stage names).

On the other hand, modern artists, such as 50 Cent, Ice-T, David Bowie, Boy George ... well, don't even seem to use their real names. Doing some more googling (for the second list), I was kind of puzzled seeing that quite a lot of people (such as Beyonce, Shakira, Kylie Minogue) use birth names. So I'd say that there's no much difference between now and then - there were/are people who like their names and use them, while there are others who prefer some other names. Such as me, for example /forum/fa/917/0/. However, as I'm not famous nor rich, it seems that I chose that nickname poorly. Poor bastard /forum/fa/1637/0/ Bad karma, whatever.
Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466405 is a reply to message #466292] Mon, 19 July 2010 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Littlefoot wrote on Sun, 18 July 2010 17:17

On the other hand, modern artists, such as 50 Cent, Ice-T, David Bowie

David Bowie's birth name was David Jones, but there was already a David Jones in the music industry...Davey Jones of The Monkeys, so he took on Bowie as a surname.
Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466429 is a reply to message #466405] Mon, 19 July 2010 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
The Monkees, I presume? Believe or not (you'd better believe!), there's a movie about The Monkees at this very moment on HRT (Hrvatska Radio Televizija - Croatian Radio Television)!

/forum/fa/8041/0/

• Attachment: monkees.PNG
    (Size: 12.69KB, Downloaded 3722 times)
Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466445 is a reply to message #466429] Mon, 19 July 2010 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Ha, of course I meant the Monkees. Funny thing is as I was typing it, something didn't "feel" right, but I thought it was just me thinking too much.
Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466503 is a reply to message #466445] Mon, 19 July 2010 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
joy_division wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 19:11
something didn't "feel" right, but I thought it was just me thinking too much.

Thanks for making me have to wipe my screen..
Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466511 is a reply to message #466503] Tue, 20 July 2010 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Somewhere around here I still have two of their records. That's records, not cassette tapes, not eight-track tapes, not cd's, not dvd's, or whatever the latest new blue ray or whatever is called, but the old-style records that played on a turn-table with a needle. Even though I was a fan, I never even noticed that it was Monkees and not Monkeys.

Re: Anna Mae Bullock [message #466535 is a reply to message #466511] Tue, 20 July 2010 01:16 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It was "Twelve Monkeys" (Bruce Willis /forum/fa/8047/0/ starring), as opposed to "The Monkees" /forum/fa/917/0/. I tried, really did, to watch that movie several times. Never saw the end.

As of the records: yes, I still have those, along with the turntable - we do listen them occasilnally, both longplays and singles. These are really old songs - got them mostly from my parents. The turntable I have is a relatively new one (15 years or so), a Samsung (can't recall the model name). I'm terribly sorry for not keeping my grandparents' turntable and radio receiver - if you wanted to listen the records, you had to plug the turntable into the radio. It looked like this one:

/forum/fa/8049/0/

They bought it during the 60s. And the radio? It was even older, I believe that they got it shortly after the end of the World War 2. Something like this one, with the "green eye" (a little "window" - in the upper right corner on this image) that turned green when the signal was good:

/forum/fa/8051/0/

This is how you set it up: there were radio stations listed, so you had to push the button (UKV, for example), slide to Radio Stockholm and - that was it!

/forum/fa/8050/0/

• Attachment: old_gramofon.jpg
    (Size: 28.16KB, Downloaded 3756 times)
  • Attachment: radio.jpg
    (Size: 86.39KB, Downloaded 3627 times)
  • Attachment: old-radio.gif
    (Size: 11.23KB, Downloaded 5297 times)
Previous Topic: How do you contribute to the OraFaq ?
Next Topic: magic Figure 555
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:44:53 CDT 2024