Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Consistent gets reduced but Elapsed time increased.. please help.
Consistent gets reduced but Elapsed time increased.. please help. [message #455163] Mon, 10 May 2010 09:37 Go to next message
nitinkrmishra
Hi All,

While tuning a application my consistent gets are reduced by 50% but the query is still taking the same time.

Data is coming from With clause that is having some 40000 rows .Then these 40K rows are joined to a table that is having 2 Billion records having indexes on primary key and date column(bitmap)indexes .

Please help..
Re: Consistent gets reduced but Elapsed time increased.. please help. [message #455166 is a reply to message #455163] Mon, 10 May 2010 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
We don't know what you have.
We don't know what you do.
We don't know what you see.
It is really, really, REALLY difficult to fix a problem that can not be seen.
use COPY & PASTE so we can see what you do & how Oracle responds.

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: Consistent gets reduced but Elapsed time increased.. please help. [message #455403 is a reply to message #455166] Tue, 11 May 2010 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Is reducing consistent gets a good thing or a bad thing? I thought - and I'm not sure here - they meant that a block was found in the buffer cache. That sounds like something you want more of, not less of.

Ross Leishman
Re: Consistent gets reduced but Elapsed time increased.. please help. [message #455597 is a reply to message #455403] Wed, 12 May 2010 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael_bialik
Posting TKPROF may help.
Re: Consistent gets reduced but Elapsed time increased.. please help. [message #455684 is a reply to message #455597] Wed, 12 May 2010 08:55 Go to previous message
Alessandro Rossi
It may sound obvious in the case where the with clause gives access to an inline view instead of creating a temporary table with the essential data.

When using a temporary table the DB at the beginning of the process performs a full evaluation of the data and stores intermediate result on a temporary table witch could be generated by FULL TABLE SCANS and HASH JOIN that may generate the maximum physical I/O because it loads all the blocks of the tables in the buffer cache, when using an inline view the DB performs no operation at the beginning of the process but it may use NESTED LOOP JOIN and INDEX RANGE SCANS several times, they limit the physical I/O, because the DB loads only those blocks containing matching data, but they tend to increases the total number of I/O operations (logical+physical) by an important factor caused by the multiple access to the same blocks of the tables and their indexes.

I advice you to find some infos about the materialized and inline hints on the with clause.

Bye Alessandro

[Updated on: Wed, 12 May 2010 08:57]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: performance problem
Next Topic: Help required to tune a query
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 23:22:52 CDT 2024