Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Optimisation Strategies (Oracle 11g Enterprise R1)
icon4.gif  Optimisation Strategies [message #454813] Fri, 07 May 2010 11:20 Go to next message
dsub42
Hi I have been given the task of optimising / performance tuning a large oracle database.

It has not yet been rolled out, so I do not know where there will be areas of bottlenecks / waits etc etc

The task of optimising it now is a pre-emptive initiative before it goes live.. is the following strategy to do this a good idea?

1. Determine specific scenarios and ways the database will be used
2. Write SQL that will be used to carry out these scenarios
3. Run the SQL and look at the response times and statistics
4. Add indexes / Partitions / optimise SQL statements to attempt a performance increase...

Does anyone have any other ideas of a better strategy?

Also I believe there are tools that can be used to optimise the structure of SQL statements when given one, as in re-formatting them and re-writing them... does anyone know of any of these tools?

Any help would be appriciated
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454814 is a reply to message #454813] Fri, 07 May 2010 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can have a look at Database Performance Tuning Guide.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 07 May 2010 11:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454818 is a reply to message #454814] Fri, 07 May 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
Thanks, I have already read that, its doesn't really give much advice for the situation im in,

I have 3 days to optimise the database iv been given, I'm just looking for an overview from people opinions and experiences.. anything they can add to or criticise about the way I intended on doing this in my original post
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454829 is a reply to message #454818] Fri, 07 May 2010 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This document is the reference, if you don't understand how to tune the database with it, you won't understand nothing.
What you are asking is for someone to do the job for you. So hire a consultant.

The steps to optimize a database are clearly describeb in Performances book.
And even more clearly in the old Performance Tuning Methods one.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 07 May 2010 12:02]

Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454846 is a reply to message #454829] Fri, 07 May 2010 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
NO clearly I am not asking someone to do the job for me!

I am asking someone if they agree with the generalised overview that I have given

Why hire a consultant, when someone who knows what there doing can answer a simple question on here in 2 seconds
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454847 is a reply to message #454846] Fri, 07 May 2010 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>1. Determine specific scenarios and ways the database will be used
Since we have no idea about application, we have no basis to respond.

>2. Write SQL that will be used to carry out these scenarios
The SQL should already exist in application.

>3. Run the SQL and look at the response times and statistics
Looking at numbers without having a baseline, make it difficult to decide which values are OK & which values can be improved.

>4. Add indexes / Partitions / optimise SQL statements to attempt a performance increase...
Adding Partitions days before application roll out, seem reckless to me.

Performance & scalability should have been part of the design decisions & not left to an after thought just prior to application deployment.
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454848 is a reply to message #454846] Fri, 07 May 2010 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Why hire a consultant, when someone who knows what there doing can answer a simple question on here in 2 seconds

OK in 2 seconds your strategy is not good.

Regards
Michel
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454849 is a reply to message #454848] Fri, 07 May 2010 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
Thanks Blackswan

The application does not exist, I have been given a dump file of a database, and i just have to attempt to have a look at how I place indexes / partitions on it where it may be needed.

This is my dillehma, It looks like im going to have to write some SQL which 'may' be used by the application, simply so I can make a list of suggestions where and why certain indexes or partitions may be needed.

Beleieve me I know its a reckless move, but this is what I have been asked to do.

Do you have any alternative suggestions, considering I am faced with a database, (which will be used for allocating employees to shifts ... not that this info helps) and no SQL, and I have simply been asked to experiment and see where they may need to put indexes / partitions...

Im not asking how to put indexes and partitions on... im asking about the methodology I use to face this task, if you see what I mean

Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454850 is a reply to message #454849] Fri, 07 May 2010 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
I have not even been asked to optimise the entire database, but just to have a look at some of the tables that will heavily been used, and make some suggestions
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454851 is a reply to message #454849] Fri, 07 May 2010 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>The application does not exist,
Yes, it does.

One does not "tune" database objects.
You tune SQL statements.
The odds you'll really succeed are between slim & none.

You're On Your Own (YOYO)!
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454853 is a reply to message #454851] Fri, 07 May 2010 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
You guys should stay well clear of academics lol
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454854 is a reply to message #454853] Fri, 07 May 2010 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
Thanks anyway
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454938 is a reply to message #454854] Sat, 08 May 2010 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
Your question is very broad so it is hard to answer with specifics. Let me try to give a little help anyway. How you tune depends upon several things but notably:

1) what kind of database are you building (Operational or Warehouse)
2) what is the specific SQL workload

If you are tuning an Operational System, then I suggest the following:

1) define all constraints (Primary Keys, Unique Keys, Foreign Keys). Make sure they are defined as NOT DEFERRED and IMMEDIATE (aka. use the defaults). I have reasons why I do not use deferred constraints or non-immediate constraints but I won't go into them here and I recognize that some people like to build apps that are LOOSE in their treament of data and thus must use deferred constraints.

As a note, many databases I have seen have been built by amatuers who have no concept of how insidious it can become when constraints are not defined properly on the data. I hope you don't have one of those, but if you are finding tables that do not have good Primary Keys, Unique Keys, and Foreign Keys, then go with the flow and see if later you can fix it.

2) make sure that all these constraints are supported by some index. With today's Oracle, indexes do not need to exactly match the constraint they support, and one index can support more than one constraint so you need fewer indexes now than you used to with previous versons of Oracle, but in genenral you should be able to say that each constraint is supported by index XYZ. Primary and Unique constraints will create an index for themselves if they cannot find one to use so if nothing else, make sure that all Foreign Keys map to some index where the FK columns are at the front of that index. Additionally let me suggest to you that, you do not need a unique index in order for you to have a PRIMARY KEY or UNIQUE KEY use that index. Consider what this means and how it can help you though since you are under the gun, not today.

3) collect stats the right way. DBMS_STATS. Do some reading online to get a better idea.

This should make a good week-1 setup.

4) After this, you need to run your application for a while aka. your trial period. They are running your system for a trial period right? This will put your SQL Worload into the database cache which you can then interrogate. You want to find the most expensive sql by CPU/Buffer Gets/Disk IOs/Sorts. Then you change the sql to make it do less of the above.

I have attached my wonder tool for finding expensive sql. This is one of my most powerful tools but since you came to OraFAQ I am letting you have it for free. Look at it, understand what it is trying to tell you, then amaze everyone with your power of observation in finding opportunities to tune your sql workload. I have been using some variation of this script for 24 out of the 25 years I have been working with the Oracle database. I got it initially from an Oracle Consultant (25 years ago Oracle charged 2000$/day for this one guy) who was called in to tune an oracle database and they assigned me to him because I was new at the job and they had nothing for me to work on at the time. What a stroke of luck for me eh! He was a little geeky so aside from a report to management, I ended up being the only guy he talked to for two weeks since no one else wanted to associate with him. Being just as geeky and a kid out of college with no life of my own at the time, this was an awesome two weeks. He gave me a few basic rules of thumb about tuning Oracle and after a quarter of a century, they are just as true and useful today as they were when he gave them to me, maybe even more so. Anyway...

5) once your system is outfitted/tuned as above, you need to pay attention to user complaints, and job runtimes to see if you are making your batch windows, and to see that user response times on screens are good enough. Notice neither of these requires that screens be as fast as possible or that batch jobs finish as quickely as possible.

Quote:
AS FAST AS IT CAN is not tuning it is stupidity.

Quote:
Tuning is MEETING REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS AND TIME LIMITATIONS.

If you are tuning a warehouse system, then that is another animal altogether and we will wait on that for another day.

Good luck.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 May 2010 13:11]

Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454942 is a reply to message #454813] Sat, 08 May 2010 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
Wow, Kevin ... Just when I had given up hope with some of the poeple on this site!

You are tuley a star, thankyou very much, its people like you within the database community that us youngesters can truley learn from and develop our skills.

Once again thankyou for your insights
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454943 is a reply to message #454942] Sat, 08 May 2010 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can learn from the documentation if you make the effort to read it.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2010 13:11]

Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454944 is a reply to message #454943] Sat, 08 May 2010 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
Yes, tuning is like chess. It takes about an hour to get started and the rest of your life to get good at it.

As Michel points out, there is lots to read about it. And there are plenty of people who would disagree with my approach as well. They are not wrong, just using a different strategy. I use what works for me. In my experience, this is a good place to start. Once you can say you have done these steps, you can honestly open the floor to any other strategy people want to suggest (like wait tuning if you dare).

Good luck, Kevin
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454946 is a reply to message #454944] Sat, 08 May 2010 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
I am having difficulty downloading the file I attached. Can you read it?

Kevin
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454947 is a reply to message #454938] Sat, 08 May 2010 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>3) collect stats the right way. DBMS_STATS. Do some reading online to get a better idea.

With V10+ default installation includes a nightly job to collect statistics for "changed" objects; so manual repeat is unnecessary.
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454948 is a reply to message #454813] Sat, 08 May 2010 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
Micheal, as 'helpful' as you have been, it is not about the effort taken to read a document, I have read and read, you should consider what is more valuable, the good judgement and experience of a soldier on the front line or doing what the army manual tells you. Once again thanks anyway

Kevin, Yes I have downloaded the file, however have not had a play with it yet
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454949 is a reply to message #454942] Sat, 08 May 2010 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
dsub42 wrote on Sat, 08 May 2010 10:56
Wow, Kevin ... Just when I had given up hope with some of the poeple on this site!

You are tuley a star, thankyou very much, its people like you within the database community that us youngesters can truley learn from and develop our skills.

Once again thankyou for your insights

dsub42 wrote on Fri, 07 May 2010 12:22

The application does not exist,

Some/much/most of Kevin's advice requires application SQL which you previously stated that you did not have.

Did you obtain the application SQL since your previous post?
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454950 is a reply to message #454949] Sat, 08 May 2010 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dsub42
No, the previous postings I explained that there was no programmed application yet .... you told me "yes there is" ... which ok fair enough whatever...

But I also stated that I would be creating the SQL to perform the business functions myself (which will no doubt be the same SQL used in the application)

Which now I have done, yes

Why?
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #454964 is a reply to message #454950] Sun, 09 May 2010 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The answer is not the same to optimize an existng application and a new one.
To optimize a new one, you DOES NOT start to optimize SQL, you start by optimizing... well see the second link I gave you it explains IN DETAILS the 10 steps of optimization.

There are also books on this, see http://www.orafaq.com/forum/m/382787/102589/

Regards
Michel
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #455026 is a reply to message #454964] Mon, 10 May 2010 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
Generally I follow a very Simple Approach for Tinning.

1/ Get the highest Used objects ( Ratio In IO:hits Max IO and Max Hits ).
2/ Check the Query at basic level ( by Check joins etc.)
3/ Check if Stat is updated.
4/ check indexes.

of course this is just on outer shell.

Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #455029 is a reply to message #455026] Mon, 10 May 2010 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1/ Does not exist if the application is not written

In addition, ratios are NOT the good way to find the most expensive objects as ratio only give relative numbers.

Regards
Michel
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #455050 is a reply to message #455029] Mon, 10 May 2010 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
Smile but with Ratio we can chart the Graph ( relative though) , and I think this can be a good step to Start with.
Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #455053 is a reply to message #455050] Mon, 10 May 2010 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
No, you cannot, with ratio you only get relative values, that is you can get a very bad query (relative to the ratio) that has a very low cost as it is executed only once.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2010 02:50]

Re: Optimisation Strategies [message #455060 is a reply to message #455053] Mon, 10 May 2010 01:25 Go to previous message
rahulvb
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 10 May 2010 01:11
No, you cannot, with ratio you only get relative values, that is you can get a very bad query (relative to the ratio) that has a very low cost as it is executed only once.

Regards
Michel

Even this is True.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2010 02:50] by Moderator

Previous Topic: AWR report
Next Topic: performance problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 23:36:06 CDT 2024