Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Resolving Latch Free Waits (Oracle 9.2.0.6.0 and 9.2.0.8.0 on HP-UX)
Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450352] Tue, 06 April 2010 11:12 Go to next message
kumarsz
Hi,

Are there any guidelines to resolve 'Latch Free' waits?

I am reading many articles which ends in classifying the waits into 1) cache buffer chains 2) Library Cache Latch Contention

For the latter, links point out finding hot block and adding free lists

However if I have ASSM then in above case how I can add free lists?

Could you brief me or suggest link to get following answers to resolve the issue?

1) How to find if latch free is because of library cache or hot block
2) If it is because of library cache what could be the reasons? And how to resolve it
3) If it is because of hot blocks how to resolve it?
4) Could there be any other reason apart from above?

Please help me getting these answers.

I have done googling even searched in this forum but haven't got exact material I needed.

Thanks and Regards,
prataps
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450353 is a reply to message #450352] Tue, 06 April 2010 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=oracle+latch+free+wait

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450357 is a reply to message #450352] Tue, 06 April 2010 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumarsz
Hi BlackSwan,

2 things

1) I have already googled and have surfed many links but have not got exact answers to my questions posted here

2)I know the gudelines (i am using this forun for a long), but these are generic questions for which I could not got solutions more than once

Thanks and Regards,
prataps

Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450367 is a reply to message #450352] Tue, 06 April 2010 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
My 11.2 database has 535 latches. With which latch do you have a problem?
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450420 is a reply to message #450352] Wed, 07 April 2010 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumarsz
John,

Did you really understand my question?

I am asking for some guidelines to resolve the 'latch free' waits.

Thanks and Regards,
prataps
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450427 is a reply to message #450352] Wed, 07 April 2010 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Pratapsz, perhaps I assumed too much knowledge in my answer; I apologize for that. A latch is a serialization mechanism, typically used to prevent concurrent access to memory structures or concurrent execution of critical code. There are many latches, each protecting a different structure. The first step in addressing your latch free wait event is to identify which latch has the problem. You need to query v$latch (or get the equivalent information from your statspack reports)
select name,gets,misses,wait_time from v$latch order by wait_time;

and only then, when we know which latch it is, can the problem be addressed. It might be a latch that has nothing to do with the library cache or freelist blocks.
If you've already done this, then I did misunderstand your question. Sorry about that.
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450432 is a reply to message #450352] Wed, 07 April 2010 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumarsz
Hello John

It's fine.

If we search 'latch free' on google, thousands of links appear. I visited many and none of which completely answers my queries

This is not surface talk, I have really experienced this as per as this particular wait event is considered. If somebody thinks it is wrong, please provide me with the link. It will really help me.

Many links refer statspack report (in 9i context)
While some user is complaining about performance issue and it is 'latch free', will we take statspack report in that case? Statspack would be preventive and won't be reactive action in this case.

I agree that there could be different scenario but there must be a method to diagnose the waits and resolve, which I don't know.

I would like to share one example where I faced it and resolved but this scenario isn't covered in whatever limited I have read about the wait event

One fine we were constantly facing 'latch free' waits.
I diagnosed and it turns to be a particular statement which hanged in multiple sessions causing this issue.
I traced one of the session and found that one sql statement was executing in loop and it was taking values of bind variables dynamically and when bind variable was getting NULL value the statement was stalling and the session was experiencing 'latch free' wait event.

Select x,y,z from t where c1=:b1 and c2=:b2

So there are various scenarios but there could be a method which I am looking at the moment

Regards,
prataps

Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450440 is a reply to message #450432] Wed, 07 April 2010 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I traced one of the session and found that one sql statement was executing in loop

Most of the time latch waits come from a bad designed or implemented application. Having such a statement in a loop is a sign this is the case. Anything you do in the database to workaround this is useless, you will eventually go to the same waits. The ONLY solution is to fix the application.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 07 April 2010 04:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450441 is a reply to message #450352] Wed, 07 April 2010 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kumarsz
Thanks Michel

What you have quoted is correct though it does not satisfy my queries completely

Regards,
Prataps
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450443 is a reply to message #450352] Wed, 07 April 2010 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hello, again. Why don't you try to find out which latch it is? Common problem latches are the shared pool latch, the library cache latch, the cache buffers chains latch (you can have many of them), the cache buffers lru chain latch. The causes, and possible solutions, of the latch free event is totally different for each of these.
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450446 is a reply to message #450352] Wed, 07 April 2010 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
And another thing, can you post a statspack report? I don't understand your statement Quote:
Statspack would be preventive and won't be reactive action in this case.
It might give the diagnostic information needed.
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450450 is a reply to message #450441] Wed, 07 April 2010 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yasir Hashmi
You might find this useful if you already have not find it useless!!
Re: Resolving Latch Free Waits [message #450452 is a reply to message #450352] Wed, 07 April 2010 05:44 Go to previous message
kumarsz
John,

Thanks for your feedback

I am not facing the 'latch free' waits issue at the moment.

And I stated about the statspack because while a user has complained about performance issue, dba tracks his session (sometimes it is possible sometime not, with connection pooling)
and founds that the session is stalling with 'latch free' wait event.

At this fire fighting scene, I think referring statspack report will not be immediate solution since it is specific for time interval but overall generic as far as sessions are concerned

Yasir -> Thanks for the link
I am unable to access the link at the moment but will refer it at the first chance.

Thanks and Regards,
prataps

Previous Topic: Please help me in tuning below query
Next Topic: Using SQL Tuning Advisor Interactively on already running task/job/batch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 01:52:27 CDT 2024