Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Report Printing through Network
icon5.gif  Report Printing through Network [message #449312] Mon, 29 March 2010 02:59 Go to next message
me_lucky
Hi All,

I am using report 10g for generating report,
My requirement is to generate the report in pdf, but once report get generated it should directly go the printer in the network or the default printer attache to the client system.
I use destype as PRINTER but i didn't get the desire result.
Can anyone help me out in acheiving this requirement.

Thanks,
Lucky.
Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449331 is a reply to message #449312] Mon, 29 March 2010 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
What did happen when you set the desttype to PRINTER?
Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449410 is a reply to message #449331] Mon, 29 March 2010 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me_lucky
invalid destype.
Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449476 is a reply to message #449312] Mon, 29 March 2010 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaeluan
Maybe this is your problem,

Very often Oracle services in windows are running as system user so this mean Report server will have access only to printer directly connected on the server and will have no access to network.

To solve this problem you have to start Oracle services as domain user and when sending report to printer you need to specify the network path like \\servername\printername
Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449489 is a reply to message #449476] Mon, 29 March 2010 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me_lucky
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have statred the Oracle service as administrator, and gave the path as u said.

but the problem is my Printer name is like 'HP colour Laser...." , when am passing this input, its taking till HP,
my doubt is
1) printer name should not contain space
2) the Printer has to be added on the application server or, if it in network, then it will be enough?

Pl clarify me.

Thank U,
Lucky.
Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449582 is a reply to message #449312] Tue, 30 March 2010 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaeluan
Quote:
1) printer name should not contain space

Not sure about this. I think it should work or maybe you can add double quote for you printer name like desname="\\server\printer"

Quote:
2) the Printer has to be added on the application server or, if it in network, then it will be enough?

Actually we have no printer define on the application server, all our printer are on another printer server. Our application server is running on Win2003 and i think we at least add the printer driver on the server to allow printing.
To do this click on windows Start button and go in "Printers and faxes". Right click in the backgroud of the window and select the menu "Server Properties". Click on Drivers tab and add your printer. This will load the driver and i think create the printer also. But you can delete the printer after this and the driver will stay there.

Hope it help
Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449659 is a reply to message #449312] Wed, 31 March 2010 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me_lucky
Hi,

thanks for the reply.

it was quite helpfull;

i have given the printer name in double quotes, but still its not working.

with second approach its working.

And i need one more help, is it possible to get the print to the local PC's default Printer (if any default Printer exists).

Thanks in Advance,
Lucky.
Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449675 is a reply to message #449312] Wed, 31 March 2010 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kaeluan
Hi,

I don`t think it`s possible to print directly on the local printer. I think you may have to put the printer in Sharing mode and this will allow you to print on it using network path like \\client_machine\printer name

The other way to do it is to send your report in preview. From there the user can print it using the application that open the report and send it to local printer.

Hope it help
icon7.gif  Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449884 is a reply to message #449675] Thu, 01 April 2010 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me_lucky
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

it was quite helpful.

Thanks,
Lucky.

Re: Report Printing through Network [message #449892 is a reply to message #449884] Fri, 02 April 2010 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
People say that it can be done using Java. I don't know Java so code posted in this OTN Forms forum thread doesn't mean much to me, but you might take a look.

Also, we (my company, that is) uses local printing every day so - yes, it is possible to print to a local printer. One of our employees wrote a program (called OAStoCL (Oracle Application Server to CLient) which does the job, but I really wouldn't know how he did that. Also, I guess you understand that I'm not allowed to attach it to this message.
Re: Report Printing through Network [message #450305 is a reply to message #449312] Tue, 06 April 2010 05:30 Go to previous message
me_lucky
Hi Littlefoot,

Thanks you very much for the reply.

Previous Topic: enable disable print option in between pages trigger
Next Topic: Oracle Reports Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:38:53 CDT 2024