Home » Other » Client Tools » ER DIAGRAM (Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 windows 2003 server)
ER DIAGRAM [message #434837] Fri, 11 December 2009 03:33 Go to next message
ramoradba
Hi, All.
We are using erwin to generate Er diagram.
But with that tool unable to generate the ERD for specific object.

Can any one suggest on this?.
Or suggest any other tool from which i can generate the ERD of specific object.

i.e.
Lets take an example.

I have a table with one primary key and 10 foreign keys.
So now if i select the main table the tool should draw the ERD based on the Constraints ('P' and 'R') so all the different table which have the relation those table should only display.

Right now we are getting all the tables ERD(more than 1500 tables) which is not neccesary.

Sriram .

[Updated on: Fri, 11 December 2009 04:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435059 is a reply to message #434837] Mon, 14 December 2009 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Hi,All
I got the desired tool from this http://www.databaseanswers.org/modelling_tools.

Regards
sriram Smile
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435800 is a reply to message #434837] Fri, 18 December 2009 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wvu1999

If you have Toad for Oracle, it can do that.

in the schema browser, select your table, right click > ER Diagram. Looks best in v10.0, but is available in v9 and higher.
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435840 is a reply to message #435800] Fri, 18 December 2009 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Thanks for your reply Man. Smile.
Already Got the solution.

Reverse Engineering is the best solution for my problem through any tool..I have to manually select the required table to import from the database

sriram Smile
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435841 is a reply to message #435840] Fri, 18 December 2009 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
The truth is there is no such tool for this which knows our requirement automatically.Wink Even somany tool are listed at the link which i posted on my previous topic

sriram Smile
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435858 is a reply to message #435841] Fri, 18 December 2009 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wvu1999

That implies your system doesn't have any referential integrity, i.e. Foreign Keys.

Some diagrammers can guess relationships based on column names.

Most if not all diagramming tools allow you to draw the relationships yourself.

Toad for example allows you to build off a single table, add others, and draw the relationships. These diagrams can then be printed for others, or used to build Query statements with your JOINS pre-defined.
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435859 is a reply to message #435858] Fri, 18 December 2009 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Did you read my post completely.

Any way i got the solution.

Thanks
Sriram
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435862 is a reply to message #435859] Fri, 18 December 2009 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wvu1999

I did, Toad definitely has this feature as you defined it.

Your last post puzzled me. If the relationships are defined in the database, then no tool has to guess what your needs are, they're already defined by the FKs.
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435864 is a reply to message #435862] Fri, 18 December 2009 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
/forum/fa/1587/0/

/forum/fa/1620/0/.
I guess you didn`t understand the problem what i have .K.Thats fine .No problem at all.As i got the solution,
Please ...Please...Please...Stop this.I got the solution in my way.
Thats working for me,and i posted the link here to others which are having such problems.K.And one more I know well about toad,Erwin,Keeptool...etc.Thank you.

sriram
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435868 is a reply to message #435864] Fri, 18 December 2009 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wvu1999

I tried your link, but it's broken.

Sorry, I was only trying to help.
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435870 is a reply to message #435868] Fri, 18 December 2009 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Please Check your inbox.

And thanks for the post saying the link broken.".htm" missed there.
here it is....

modelling_tools

sriram Smile
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #435878 is a reply to message #435864] Fri, 18 December 2009 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
ramoradba wrote on Fri, 18 December 2009 15:17
Please ...Please...Please...Stop this.I got the solution in my way.

Nice one.

User 1: "I have an issue, can someone help me please?"
User 1: "Never mind, I found a solution"
User 2: "You might try A, that can do what you want"
User 1: "No it does not, and I got a solution"
User 2: "Why does it not do what you want"
User 1: "Please stop helping me!"
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #439431 is a reply to message #434837] Sat, 16 January 2010 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
A portable and highly flexible solution is to write a sql extractor of your own that generates a simple .SQL text file. Every tool in the world will load a text file that has CREATE TABLE and CREATE CONSTRAINT commands in it. You can write your extractor using a TABLE FUNCTION and then generate the text file via sqlplus. This makes it way easy to do.

The advantages of this are:

1) you write what ever you want. Thus to get the DDL for your child table and all its parent tables (KNOW AS A BUSH DIAGRAM), your extractor will extract DDL for only these tables based on your rules.

2) as was said, it can be used by any modeling tool and so is portable between projects and between employers.

3) your extractor routine can be as sophisticated as you like.

For example, you could extract the DDL for all tables needed to support a plsql package and then construct an ERD for this package.

Another example, you could extract the DDL for a specific complex SQL statement and then construct and ERD for that sql.

A third example, you could extract the DDL for all tables needed to support a view and then contruct the ERD for the view (very useful).

You will be hard pressed to find a diagraming tool that will do #3 above all by themselves (though there are one or two documentation tools that do it). For this reason I use this method all the time. Once you get started you will wonder why you never did it before.

A fourth example, you could build various flavors of family trees centered around a table or set of tables (known as an HOURGLASS DIAGRAM). This allows you to construct a diagram of subject areas, and diagrams that show what data is necesasry to build "CONSISTENT SNAPSHOTS" for loading data and related purposes. Basically you are building either a bush (#1 above), or an hourglass diagram with one table (or set of tables) in the middle of the hourglass.

A final example, you can combine the examples above to support other needs. For example, you identify all tables needed to support a plsql package (as via #1 above), then you identify all tables from all hourglass models for the tables you identified as necessary to your plsql package (as via fourth example above). This gives you all tables you need to load data in order to test the package successfully. You can then construct the diagram as part of your testing documentation (way cool) or as a guide to other junior developers on how to successfully test the package (way cooler because now you are getting someone else to do your work for you).

I have been doing what you are saying for 25 years for documentation purposes. It is one of the things that puts me ahead of the rest of the people I work with.

Good luck, Kevin

FYI it seems UPLOAD FILE for uploading images is not working? Where are the instructions for this? I can't find them.

Kevin
Re: ER DIAGRAM [message #440565 is a reply to message #439431] Mon, 25 January 2010 14:28 Go to previous message
andrew again
Sounds like you need this ==> http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/sample/tables/book.html

Save the generated files to web server, local/shared drive or whatever and point your browser to index.html
Previous Topic: ORA-12514
Next Topic: How to remove the doted line while spooling (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:11:32 CDT 2024