Home » Other » Client Tools » TNS-12154 could not resolve the connect identifier specified (oracle 10g)
TNS-12154 could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #432711] Wed, 25 November 2009 23:10 Go to next message
rajesh444y
Hi Guys, I am new to this community. I have one problem with oracle 10g client.

I have oracle 10g installed on my machine, when i am trying to connect to database using sqlplus or plsql developer i am getting below error

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

I have use the tnsping and i am able to ping the target database successfully

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_2\NETWORK\ADMIN>tnsping <identifier>

from the command prompt i am able to connection database from the ORACLE_HOME

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_2\NETWORK\ADMIN>sqlplus username/passwd@SID

I don't know why i am getting ORA-12154 error when i am trying to connect using sqlplus interface or PLSQL Developer

Re: TNS-12154 could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #432712 is a reply to message #432711] Wed, 25 November 2009 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Ora-12154 = "I can not find the entry in the TNSNAMES.ORA file that I am using (regardless of the one YOU THINK I am using)!"
Re: TNS-12154 could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #432713 is a reply to message #432711] Wed, 25 November 2009 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Quote:
D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_2\NETWORK\ADMIN>sqlplus username/passwd@SID[/email][/email][/email]

Make sure you are trying to connect which client(which has an entry In the tnsnames.ora

show us tnsping <tnsentry>

And if you have two clients installed check for the tnsnames.ora for that client.
Show us
set oracle_sid=<your sid>
sqlplus usrname/password

Quote:
Cause: A connection to a database or other service was requested using a connect identifier, and the connect identifier specified could not be resolved into a connect descriptor using one of the naming methods configured. For example, if the type of connect identifier used was a net service name then the net service name could not be found in a naming method repository, or the repository could not be located or reached.

Action: - If you are using local naming (TNSNAMES.ORA file):

- Make sure that "TNSNAMES" is listed as one of the values of the NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile (SQLNET.ORA)

- Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper directory and is accessible.

- Check that the net service name used as the connect identifier exists in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

- Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. Look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Errors in a TNSNAMES.ORA file may make it unusable.

- If you are using directory naming:

- Verify that "LDAP" is listed as one of the values of the NAMES.DIRETORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile (SQLNET.ORA).

- Verify that the LDAP directory server is up and that it is accessible.

- Verify that the net service name or database name used as the connect identifier is configured in the directory.

- Verify that the default context being used is correct by specifying a fully qualified net service name or a full LDAP DN as the connect identifier

- If you are using easy connect naming:

- Verify that "EZCONNECT" is listed as one of the values of the NAMES.DIRETORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile (SQLNET.ORA).

- Make sure the host, port and service name specified are correct.

- Try enclosing the connect identifier in quote marks. See the Oracle Net Services Administrators Guide or the Oracle operating system specific guide for more information on naming.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Z:\>set oracle_sid=sriram

Z:\>sqlplus sriram/sriram

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Nov 26 10:53:14 2009

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Enter user-name: sriram@ind
Enter password:

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> sho user
USER is "sriram"
SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production

Z:\>set oracle_sid=satya
[b]In My Tns entry i have ind of sid sriram [/b]

Z:\>sqlplus sriram@ind

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Nov 26 10:54:09 2009

Enter password:

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production

SQL> disconnect
Disconnected from Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
SQL> exit

[b]Now i commented thta entry[/b]

Z:\>sqlplus sriram@ind

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Nov 26 10:58:08 2009

Enter password:
ERROR:

Enter user-name:[/size]

sriram <font size="3">[/size]

[Updated on: Wed, 25 November 2009 23:45] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: TNS-12154 could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #432718 is a reply to message #432713] Wed, 25 November 2009 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
@ramoradba

Take care of the width of your lines when you use code tags or use quote ones.

Regards
Michel
Re: TNS-12154 could not resolve the connect identifier specified [message #432719 is a reply to message #432718] Wed, 25 November 2009 23:32 Go to previous message
ramoradba
Ok michel Smile
i posted before seeing you message ...

Sriram

[Updated on: Wed, 25 November 2009 23:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Running a procedure in sql*plus
Next Topic: HOW to connect oracle with D2K(developer 2000)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:50:59 CDT 2024